You know you're seriously into iNat when

Lol, that’d be VERY cool!

1 Like

Definitely so!
–> https://www.popsci.com/mosquitos-buzz-phone/

1 Like

There must be others, like me, who see a spurge and think “what will @nathantaylor say about this?”

13 Likes

janetwright, for sure!

1 Like

… you make a recording while shaking a legume pod: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/46932802

4 Likes

…you make a recording of white pines then of pitch pines because the wind sounds different going through each. (you don’t know how to make audio recordings on iNat yet though so maybe you need to be more into iNat?) :grimacing: :rofl:

5 Likes

There are limits.

When a bird got into our kitchen this morning, scaring my Dad as he was getting his first cup of coffee, I shooed it out with nary a photograph.

About half-way through the chase I did think of photographing it, but decided against it. I did notice that it was a starling. Then I coaxed it into a cardboard box, carried it outside, and laid the box in the front yard.

Oh… from now on, the door that leads from the kitchen to the side door and the basement stays shut. Always.

4 Likes

…You get really exited when you reach 30,000 iNat observations, and people think you must be crazy.

14 Likes

You’re crazy, look at your species rate for 2020! :D

8 Likes

… when you buy a greenhouse because it works as a perfect trap to entice insects into a safe but enclosed environment for photography. Btw, I’m told people sometimes use them for gardening. Who knew? :rofl:

14 Likes

Lol, yes!

You’re visiting with your mother on the back porch when you notice a species of jumping spider crawling on you. You then:

• take photos with your phone while continuing the conversation
  • apologize for doing so
  • your mom, who is used to this, rolls her eyes and says ‘it’s a bug
  • you fight the urge to say ‘it’s not a bug, it’s an arachnid’ because she is the person who gave you life
  • then again, it’s because she’s your mom that you felt free to just photograph a jumping spider on your arm
  • and to be fair, it was pretty cool looking
25 Likes

…when your first instinct when seeing bird poop is to look closer just in case it’s actually a camouflaged insect

20 Likes

I have photographed possibly tiny invertebrates only for them to turn out to be poo when enlarged on the screen and I have prodded poo only for it to run away or tuck its legs in tighter. I now always photograph first and ask questions later. :)

20 Likes

Yes!!! One of my favorite observations of all time was a tenodera sinensis nymph sitting on my seedling trays Hunting and eating an aphid or mite in the greenhouse! They are exceptionally good traps but will kill things if not vented so depends on your goals.

I used to have a garden for plants and pots were Face up for flowers not Upside down for herps and spiders and beetles. Viruses and insects were not allowed as much freedom to destroy etc. Current style is way more fun. :joy:. At least for me and the insects and birds and well, everyone but judgmental misguided humans.

3 Likes

You convince your mom to let you take pictures of dead rats caught in her shed and garage by suggesting that doing so helps you determine whether they are a species that is a hantavirus vector or not.

Truthfully, that was a part of it, but I also was jumping at the chance to add something new to my observations.

9 Likes

…you read this topic…

20 Likes

… when you cheat to get your 1000th species. Only need 50 more wild species to reach 1000.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/48972024

5 Likes

Lol. You’re not the only one, lol.

1 Like

Meh, you marked it non-wild. I don’t see it as a “cheat”.

I only glanced at it at first and so misread it as “bird wheat”, and thought you meant you were cheating to get your 1000th bird species. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes