You know you're seriously into iNat when

Yes, don’t let your brave sacrifice have been in vain; it was already in vein. :crazy_face:

Though if you can’t find the photo, you’ll have something for the thread on worst iNat experiences

10 Likes

The original poster awards you extra points for a puntastic contribution to the thread (disclaimer: that’s not an actual thing)

6 Likes

But it should be!

4 Likes

…you take a picture of a small and unidentifiable bug, then dream that you went on iNat to find out what it was. You find the species (the photo being exactly the one you took) and post the observation, then wake up and wish you could remember what it was called.

This actually happened to me, and the bug in question is this one: inaturalist.org/observations/53965441

13 Likes

Wha… :open_mouth:

Btw, I think my day record is like 128 and that was last week. :laughing:

6 Likes

Wow, congratulations.

6 Likes

…the only thing that’s stopping you from taking a photo of every single organism that you encounter is your camera battery.

14 Likes

…you make it your personal goal to identify every single Unknown observation on iNat. (Yes, I know it’s impossible. But I’m trying!)

16 Likes

Maybe not as extreme as you guys (so far), but…
…you now always bring a phone and macro lens when going outside,

Earlier today I had to cut off a branch from a tree in front of my house because it was starting to block the driveway, and I ended up examining every branch for spiders and stuff. Got ants all over my arm in the process, but I’ve gained the ability to ignore them.

11 Likes

Sounds like you’re well on your way though!!! ;)

4 Likes

You enjoy reading your new information cards about insects only about five a day and look at a striped stink bug on the card… and think…
“Oh wow!!! Have never seen that before…”
…just an hour later you have a closer look what to find in your garden, like nearly every day… and often more then one time…and then… there it is!!!
The European striped stinkbug ,fully grown up and beautifuly sitting on a leave of a Bush!!

Just happened to me…
So you know, who is over the moon cause of a stinkbug today… ^^

13 Likes

I’m happy just hearing about your discovery.

3 Likes

Mine is in the 200-300 range I think. On camping trips.

3 Likes

… when this conversation occurs…

• Friend: If he bites and you scream, why are holding it?
  • Me: You’ll do anything for science…

This statement mostly pertains to Tettigoniinae.

7 Likes

… you endure the hailstorm of spittlebug nymphs to photograph moths in the night.

They are attracted to light just like moths, so I put a plastic sheet out there to find out how many were there (because they are everywhere). It sounded like rain on that plastic sheet, there were at least a hundred landing every minute. I have a cute photograph of a Leafroller Moth that tolerated the spittlebugs. Most of the bigger moths didn’t tolerate spittlebugs on or around them, especially this Tolype Moth which used it’s wings like a catapult and shot those spittlebugs far away from it.

8 Likes

That would be a fun gif.

3 Likes

When ya allow spiders found in the house to crawl on your hands/arms (after ascertaining that they don’t pose a serious threat) and photograph them then continue to admire them before releasing them outside despite your families screams of terror and wishes of death.

Oh and when ya inat the dead insects caused by lights on the back porch.

8 Likes

FYI:
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/project-porchlight

3 Likes

Good luck! I often try this as well, but typically at more of a regional level.

1 Like

And iNat the dead bugs on your car grill too!

8 Likes