You know you're seriously into iNat when

…you’ve convinced your teacher to join it too. Now the mere mention of iNaturalist have become an inside joke.

8 Likes

I feel the same!

2 Likes

… when u are trekking and u just did not notice there are many bugs there,one of the trekkers call u buggy/bug guy and u run with excitement to make that observation

4 Likes

Nah, this week I’ve been getting IDs on observations I submitted back in 2017. Never give up!

7 Likes

So I am doomed, I have no observation saved, I upload and delete photos. Aaah I’m messed up

1 Like

Well, at least you know now.

Do you gave any of the photos saved elsewhere (your phone’s gallery, Flickr, Google drive/iCloud/Dropbox/etc)? You could add them back.

1 Like

no, just on inat

1 Like

Did you take the photos on a phone camera or a camera without a phone? If it was a phone camera, it saves a local copy to your phone (usually in the DCIM folder).

2 Likes

Sure, sometimes people check their taxa and id, but it’s something that usually stays needs id as there’s a single expert on iNat, I think the worst part is there’re always people who id something the 4th or 5th time, cool, you spend time on already RG observations when I have thousands you could actually help with, that’s weird.
@abhijatshakya you can always start saving them!

2 Likes

…your three-year-old knows the common names of most of the spiders around your house.

13 Likes

It’s when the three year old calls them arachnids when her age-mates call them “piders”!

11 Likes

2 Likes

When you’re jealous that some three-year-old somewhere knows more about spiders than I do.

13 Likes

When you catch yourself, at the kitchen window, using binoculars to check for squills (Scilla siberica) or crocuses.

2 Likes

When you get super excited about a fly getting into your house because you get to iNat it! And of course, you have to do so, because what if it ends up being a super interesting fly with very few observations on iNat, or even just in your area?

And then if it actually was, that only encourages you to keep doing it.

7 Likes

Let me know, I’ll put it in my will! I love the library and only buy two kinds of books, identification and Stephen King novels. Everything else can be borrowed.

2 Likes

I’ve often dreamt of smellovision! I would love to capture scent.

2 Likes

No no! You must have faith! 5 hours ago I had a mushroom identified from a post two years ago!

7 Likes

I have 11k of Needs id, every day I get like 10 valuable ids max, one id of something from years ago is a reminder of how much we lack in iders more than a celebration, as this number goes up every day, not down. (I’m grateful to everyone helping with ids, unpaid heroes!)

4 Likes

I am eternally grateful for the work the id ers do. I want to help, but until the fiber optics come through here and the budget works out, I’m stuck with iPhone as only internet. It’s too small to see well. The phone app is so much more limited than the actual website.
I have a feeling IDing may become addictive.

5 Likes