You know you're seriously into iNat when

When I become excited because I heard my family shouts at a cockroach! :D

9 Likes

When your cabin fever in the winter is worse than ever because you want to go out and find cool bugs to look at :(

14 Likes

When you’re obsessively watching new observations in your area near the end of winter/start of spring, watching for when the plants start flowering, your favorite insects start coming back, or whatever else you’re into! … Unless you’re a bird person, that is. You guys are lucky!

8 Likes

This is why I’ve started wearing a neon orange vest like the kind hunters wear, lol. A “frisbee golf” area was set up in the little walking path through the nearby woods, and after almost getting smacked in the face by a frisbee, I decided that I’ll just make sure to wear neon from now on.

As a bonus, it gives me extra pockets so that I can easily exchange my camera for my phone as needed.

9 Likes

…you’ve spent months at physical therapy for a hip issue thats aggravated from squatting while taking mushroom pictures (I will never stop). :sunglasses:

… there’s 45,000+ pictures on your iCloud (just from the last 10 years) and you’re out of storage, but omfg it’s going to take months to go through them all to delete the ugly ones, cuz I have to keep the pretty ones for future calendars?

11 Likes

I know what you mean about being unable to resist a deep squat :man_lifting_weights: for an interesting specimen (and then paying for it after). The price of passion - or is it compulsion? Either way…

I looked at your profile and see you are quite an accomplished artist. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Photographer’s Yoga! I practice three seasons. I can do the squats, but the standing, somehow feels farther away than it used to. I go through self-inflicted vertigo when I stand. Every time! Gets a little loopy on a good mushroom day. :crazy_face:
The injury lesson was one spring day when I took one wrong step, one leg broke through the top layers of snow, pulling my groin muscle. That took months of healing. And still, my nose is pressed to the window, waiting to get back out. Oh please be maple sap season soon!
Another year wiser, let’s be kinder to ourselves!

2 Likes

Don’t delete them! Even ugly ones, they all can be useful, you probably need some physical storage for them. My 4tb hard drive is almost full with nefs, so I’ll need a new one soon. :expressionless:

2 Likes

One of the wonderful things about iNaturalist is that it keeps the photos, the useful records of what’s where. I no longer feel the need to keep all the records, just the ones I like. (Of course, I like most of them, so that storage problem still exists, but I’m working on it!)

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m currently working some drawings of some of the West Coast Rare Fungi species that I’ll probably give away Game of Shrooms 2022. :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Since I have all them saved on iNat, I feel pretty ok about getting rid of the 6 different shots of each plant/fungi, unless it’s a super exciting beautiful photo. I can really only stand so many pictures of my little sausage fingers holding various things, lol :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

The thing is iNat can have some accident with servers, and photos are saved in lower resolution, so be careful, I also deleted tons of phone pics and now if something happens with iNat and GBIF, they’re forever lost.

7 Likes

YOW! What a crazy fun event!

1 Like

When the worst part about having a cold is that you can’t go out and make observations :(

9 Likes

When you’ve been looking forwards to cleaning out (observing) the dead insects in your light fixture (entomological trap).

9 Likes

When you see a very average-looking moth but you’re super excited about it anyway because it’s the first moth you’ve seen all year!

13 Likes

Hahaha! I just did that. It’s good to know I am not the only one.

2 Likes

You look at your phone every 10 minutes not because you’re addicted to social media but to see if someone has ID’ed another one of your observations yet!

18 Likes

I’ve given up even looking once a day for that reason. If it isn’t IDed within the first ten minutes, you might as well hunker down for a long wait.

5 Likes

You know it’s tragic when such words are true, if two days have passed, it’s over.

5 Likes