You know you're seriously into iNat when

Now that was funny :rofl:

I’m glad others find joy in this. Now I will enjoy him acquiring groupies. Moose generally get plenty of ID love.

why is moose maverick?” and then saw your ID… “OOOOH it got me too!”

I also made the same typo recently. Fortunately I caught it. It makes me want to search moss to hunt for more.

Very enjoyable indeed!

Just to clarify, this was not some nonsense-ID by the CV but rather due to the fact that ‘moss’ in German is ‘Moos’ - and the plural form (for phylum Bryophytes) is ‘Moose’ :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Thanks for that information! I had assumed typo, but it could be explained by language differences. Even more reason to go moose hunting in the moss.

1 Like

I was in a fairly serious meeting yesterday walking around a listed building project with the conservation officer and had to photograph a cool plant while pretending to be taking record photos of important features in the building.

9 Likes

It’s called multi-tasking. ;-)

4 Likes

Here’s all observations with both moose and moss IDs.

1 Like

Less than I expected. They are all in their proper taxon now. I will keep the link though. Maybe there will be more in the future.

…when you are excited by an Indian-Meal moth on the living room wall.

8 Likes

Or even worse when you’re jealous of other people’s Indian-Meal moth sightings.

5 Likes

…when you are sick with covid and the first thing you do when you start feeling better is hike 4 miles so that you can catch up on observing.

9 Likes

Now if you were REALLY REALLY into iNat, you would have taken a picture of your covid test and submitted it!

2 Likes

But we’ll draw the line at intentionally getting Covid so you can make an observation of it…

4 Likes

Sounds like a joke, but here are observations.

3 Likes

I have an old photo of a covid test I want to upload, just so I can put it on my life list :)

2 Likes

Boom done!

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/147778890

2 Likes

Test results aren’t evidence of anything but human, you’d need photos of cultures or symptoms.

Seeing how there are many Research Grade observations of just covid tests, I’m inclined to disagree.

@tiwane, does iNaturalist have any policies on covid tests and the like?

1 Like

“Official”? No, but IMO a positive test strip is evidence of an organism in a time and place. A screenshot, probably less so. That’s something to discuss or vote on in an observation. But there are currently 209 total observations of SARS-CoV-2 on iNat and reams of other data about it from other sources, so I don’t think iNat is an important source for infection data and it seems like not a particularly great use of time to police those.

6 Likes

Both observations of Dengue Virus are scans of test result documents. Sometimes, you gotta take what you can get.

3 Likes

I should have done that. Its too late now though.

1 Like