You know you're seriously into iNat when

One of the reasons I took a trip to Death Valley last week

10 Likes

If only, if only that would magically happen on March 21!

Hey, my chipmunk just woke up for the season! Although I don’t really think of it as a creepy drawly.

I found a couple lifers late last summer at a gas station too! I’m hoping to make some more gas station observations again this year too. I even made a project for it. Maybe you could join it and add your observations? :)

9 Likes

7f8fbc

21 Likes

…you seriously assess whether a bruise that takes up a significant portion of your hand is going to interfere with operation of a camera.

(True story: I got attacked by a chair. Metal-framed, no less.)

5 Likes

… You’re trying to convince your family to drive you to a lake an hour away… so you can look for rare ducks.

8 Likes

You start trying to find ways to iNat at work even though your job isn’t even remotely nature related. At least I work the closing shift, maybe the lights will attract some moths when summer comes?

9 Likes

…when you crawl into a culvert because you thought you saw something crawl in there.

8 Likes

That might have been me looking for minnows.

4 Likes

Or me looking for dragonfly exuviae.

4 Likes

You crouch down and take lots of pictures of a dandelion, trying to get all the necessary features, without thinking about the fact that you are in a busy parking lot.

7 Likes

You start trying to find ways to iNat at work even though your job isn’t even remotely nature related.

:laughing: Yup! I work in healthcare and I reached out to our wellness department about doing an iNat project for the summer employee program.

13 Likes

Neat! How did you spin it? As something interesting/fun for employees (morale)? As a mindset training tool for including documentation? Something else?

4 Likes

Record the diseases you find in patients!

3 Likes

Potential ethical problem.

3 Likes

It just worked out that I suggested something that aligned with what the Wellness Director was already interested in: encouraging interaction with nature and opportunities to engage staff asynchronously. I led some wildflower walks last summer, so I also have a history of supporting the programs.

Record the diseases you find in patients.
Potential ethical problem.

Confidentiality is very well engrained for most healthcare workers, so I don’t think it would even occur to them to breach it. We might see some other creative observations though.

2 Likes

… When u find out various excuses on how to just push yourself outside without letting others know in ur house and just vanishing into the green out of nowhere

7 Likes

… You agree with a coworker’s e-mail and have nothing constructive to add, so are looking for the little heart to click on, like on the forum.

13 Likes

… When you get warbler neck for staring up in tree for an hour trying to get a photo of a very elusive Black-throated Green Warbler
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/137625367

6 Likes