A way to see last added new species

Is there a way to filter out last new added species in a project or personal observation page? Or create a list of species with dates added or just in order of addition? I belive it can be done with downloading all data, but is it possible via website?

1 Like

Not that I know of, I would like that as well.
The closest Iā€™ve found is on your stats page you can get your lifers by month sorted by date posted and faves (I would prefer date observed) near the bottom by clicking on a month: https://www.inaturalist.org/stats/2020/you
You can also see which lifers you got on a particular day through your calendar, so you could go through the days to find the last one that has a lifer.

4 Likes

Thank you, will try to do it.) Hope something like that will appear for projects.

1 Like

If you go to explore page, and go to filters, you can enter your own @name in the user box, then sort by date added. You can also enter the project name and sort by date added. Is this what you were looking for?

Not really, my friends are looking for a way to see which species were added last to the project for the first time, so like you donā€™t have to check each species for how many entries are there and if it is the first one, but have an ordered list of how they were added, maybe of only first observations of all species (or branches) or just species names, so you can say that these 5 or ten species were added last for the first time.

4 Likes

I see. I would definitely like this.

1 Like

You can try using the recent_taxa feature, which @pisum helped make more accessible (though it still requires editing the URL). For example, here the spider species recently observed for the first time in ŠœŠ¾ŃŠŗŠ¾ĢŠ²ŃŠŗŠ°Ń Š¾ĢŠ±Š»Š°ŃŃ‚ŃŒ:

https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNatAPIv1_identifications_recent_taxa.html?place_id=133612&taxon_id=47119&rank=species&category=improving,leading&per_page=200 (it takes a moment to load)

Look for the check marks :heavy_check_mark: and ignore the Xs.

5 Likes

Thank you! Though a lot needs to learnt, but at least thereā€™s an utility!

2 Likes

It looks like recent_taxa looks at the ID date and not the observation date?

Which makes sense, but isnā€™t what I expected at first, so I thought Iā€™d point it out.

2 Likes

I also saw some taxons that were far from new but with :heavy_check_mark:, and I have no idea how to include both rg and need id, cause it creates me a link with only needs id when I mark both.

1 Like

to clarify a bit, youā€™re looking for records with checks (representing yes) in the ā€œTaxon = ID Taxonā€ column. for whatever reason, the results of this endpoint include associated parent taxa in some cases, but i donā€™t think those identifications are always the most recent of for the parent taxa. so you can avoid looking at those parent taxa records by looking only for the records with checks in that column.

sometimes records with the check have recent identification dates for taxa that are known to have been observed / identified much earlier. often these are cases where there was a taxon change, and the records returned here represent the first identification using the the new taxon id. thatā€™s a limitation / quirk of the API endpoint. bouteloua might have other thoughts on usage, but thatā€™s what i know from my limited experience looking at this.

add ā€œ&quality_grade=research,needs_idā€ to your URL.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi everyone,

I see that this was discussed in 2020 but I was wondering if there are any updates. Itā€™s not clear to me that the proposed solution worked and I couldnā€™t get it to work, although I donā€™t anything about html.

And hereā€™s an explanation of why it would really help to be able to see which species are new for a particular project:

I am administering a number of traditional projects that have the goal of inventorying species. It would really help generate interest in the project and iNat in general if we could easily see which species were new for the inventory projects. This week we are running a research camp and the students would be incentivized to post more if they could see if their submissions were new for the project (https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/clifton-institute-biodiversity-inventory). eBird makes it really easy to do this (see screenshot below) for a hotspot or for a personal life list, and itā€™s an important way that eBird manipulates people (in a nice way) to submit more observations.

Thank you,
Bert

the APIā€™s new identifications endpoint doesnā€™t work in conjunction with a project id parameter. your project is a traditional project, but assuming observations at the Clifton Field Station (place_id 124570) will roughly approximate the observations in your project, then you could use that place_id in place of your project_id, like so:

https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNatAPIv1_identifications_recent_taxa.html?place_id=124570&per_page=200

otherwise, youā€™d have to basically compare recent observations vs all observations in the project. this is a slightly different methodology than the above because itā€™s based on new observations rather than new identifications ā€“ new identifications may be more useful if the observations in your set arenā€™t necessarily identified quickly ā€“ but a tool such as the ā€œnew speciesā€ tool mentioned here may help to make that kind of comparison: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/several-external-tools-for-inat-data-by-kildor/19906.

1 Like

Neat! I have been playing around with this for plants in my area. So far, found one plausible new species and a handful of IDs that seem like they need to be corrected. Thanks!

1 Like