Add observation - Automatically tagged my observations with incorrect names based on photo filenames

My normal practice is to type the first few letters of Genus and species, or occasionally common name, into the blank field, check the correct one has appeared, or type more till it does. Suggestions rarely appear before I have done so, and if they do , I type over it with my ID instead, so they never get accepted.

Hence a filled ID field is one I have already ID’d, and I only have to check for empty ones before submitting.

When the auto filling in started happening I wondered why I was making so many mistaken choices.

Once I saw the forum info re the issue I became more alert for it, but unfortunately even after I have selected the correct ID in the usual way, and thought I had entered it fully, and moved on to the next obs to ID, I sometimes find - or, worse, don’t notice - an auto ID has been entered.

Also sometimes they get entered before I have had a chance to enter anything. So I have to remove it before entering the ID in the usual way.

All this takes time esp if the conection is slow.

Re the pre-submit checking, ts hard to scroll through 20 or 30 and still be able to read the text, so having to do so for ID now, in addition to all the other data to be checked, is regrettable. I can also think I am looking at a different obs if the ID is wrong…eg I just made an obs of a vine in a tree, then the next obs, of the same tree covered in the same vine, is hard to distinguish visually from the thumbnails, so I have to open the images and even zoom them to check whether the obs named for the vine is the one I identified, and described, as such.

1 Like