Problem in file name matching during upload

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: take a bunch of pictures using a camera that names them on the memory card as ASA_12345.jpg, ASA_12346.jpg, etc.

Step 2: use the uploader to make observations of these pictures

Step 3: the uploader will identify every one of them as the fish Gymnarchus niloticus, because a common name of that fish in the Igbo language is “asa”.

I review all fish that get posted to iNat, and have been seeing a steady stream of random things identified as this fish species when they obviously flowers, birds, etc. These always come from Russia, and I finally enlisted the help of a Russian speaker to investigate, and we eventually figured out that it is the filename matching against the common name.

I have been seeing small groups of observations like this, maybe once every week or two. See https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/46389051

I don’t know if we should just live with this, remove or change the common name on that taxon, or modify the uploader not to match against the filename when it looks like this. But I think choosing one of these courses of action should come from iNat staff, not me.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Add observation - Automatically tagged my observations with incorrect names based on photo filenames