Opt out of taxon ID autofill from photo filename on upload

As per the discussion in this Bug Report thread, can there please be a Yes or No option in user account settings for iNat to automatically identify taxons using info in the photo file name. But still allow AI to suggest species from the image itself.
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-observation-automatically-tagged-my-observations-with-incorrect-names-based-on-photo-filenames/8203/59

FYI @jon_sullivan

1 Like

Personally I find it easier to add species names in the photo tags (keywords) and have iNat’s upload pick them up from there.

2 Likes

But don’t you need to know the species name first to tag before you upload the obs? What if you don’t know the species? I just uploaded a number of observations with the photos file name Matuku Link (a wetland restoration project location), and every obs was automatically identified as Australasian bittern (Maori name for the bird is Matuku). I even try to beat the metadata upload by quickly typing in the correct species ID, but that gets kicked out and overridden by iNat’s ID from the photo file name. Very frustrating.

1 Like

Ah, yes, thanks. I can see how that would be frustrating. I’d want to turn that off too. I don’t change the names of my files from my camera so I’ve not yet had iNat interpret a filename as a species name.

2 Likes

Neither do I. But it also picks up two and three-letter combinations from the file names, and if those are associated with an organism then the observation gets labelled with that organism.

1 Like