"Add Observations" goes to old uploader on traditional projects - keep it this way?

Hey folks,

Trying to judge the community’s feelings on this. Currently, on a traditional project (eg https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/australasian-fishes) there’s a red “Add Observations” graphic on the banner and clicking on it will lead to our ancient uploader, set to add the observation to that project, eg https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/new?project_id=9358

I’m personally of a mind that the link to the old uploader shouldn’t be there, but I rarely use projects thus I’m not sure my opinion counts for much here. So I’d like to get opinions about the utility of the current set-up.

I don’t think we can have the “Add Observations” button on a traditional project take one to the current uploader and have that project selected, so that’s not an alternative.

1 Like

FWIW I prefer the new uploader. Ideally it would preselect the project if called from a project page, but if that’s not possible then oh well. I’d go out of my way to avoid the old uploader.

3 Likes

I’ve always found that button confusing. What I want to do when adding observations to a project is to go to my existing observations and select which ones I want to add, not to create new observations from scratch. So I’ve never used it. But perhaps the button makes more sense to others?

9 Likes

I do sometimes use the old uploader and more so use these tools:
So i do hope it stays though i don’t care if it is linked to the project page or not.
I also agree with Deboas’ comment

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if it is gone as a link in projects!

2 Likes

You would still be able to access it under the “Old observation form (deprecated)” on the web uploader, under “More import options”.

@deboas I believe I originally thought that as well, many moons ago.

2 Likes

OK, now that the community is a lot bigger, I thought I’d bring this up again to see if anyone wants to weigh in.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.