Add search option to exclude cultivated plants

Hi there, I’m new to the forum and to iNat. If I’m mistaken and this is already an established feature, please do correct me.

I would love to see an option to explicitly exclude cultivated plants within a taxa in order to filter out any individuals purposefully planted in horticulture.

0 Likes

By default, observations marked as captive/cultivated (aka non-wild) so they shouldn’t be showing up in searches. Do you have any URLs and/or screenshots you can share that include these observations?

0 Likes

oops, i meant to reject this request because i sent her a message about this. I am confused! I don’t know if there was a bug or i hit the wrong button. Sorry @tiwane and @kboutiette

1 Like

There are cases where cultivated plants establish and should be treated as wild plants, for record and data purposes. It doesn’t seem suitable to exclude entire taxa even if 99% of the records are captive, although iNaturalist in part already does this automatically by flagging things as non-wild without notification.

1 Like

@silversea_starsong does that really work? I’m not very interested in plants, but most observations in Uruguay are cultivated, and needs to be fagged. (Thing that I sometimes do)

0 Likes

iNaturalist seems to have some system where certain species are automatically flagged in certain countries. For instance, this one of mine linked below, if you check the “wild/captive” flags, there is a check for “No” which was made by the website automatically.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9478311

This species is almost exclusively captive/planted, so it is working as it should, however that was one case where the trees were growing on their own and considered “wild”.

0 Likes

Closing this as the feature already exists.

0 Likes

closed #8
0 Likes