Adding a location

I’ve been trying help a guy who had a lot of observations in Casual due to not having a location. However, it has the name of the location under where the map should be, but still says missing location. He uses a computer, and types the location name, but for some reason it’s not coming up. Any suggestions for what could be going on? I’m out, and he’s getting discouraged.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s typing in a location name but not selecting it from the dropdown, or the location can’t be found in the list of locations ?

But that typically doesn’t save the location name you’ve typed in.

I upload photos from my old camera, which doesn’t do GPS. When I’m creating my observation and adding information to the uploaded photos, I just do a search for where I was using Google Maps, zoom in and click the spot, and then I copy the coordinates and paste them into iNat’s location info window. That’s way, I get pretty exact locations and it doesn’t matter whether iNat has a general listing for that place or not.

2 Likes

Maybe he needs to change what location name(s) he’s using to allow the Google map in iNat to provide something that he can select. I often use a general location, select that, then zoom in on the map to place the dot where I want it. Otherwise it sounds like some error in the way he’s doing it.

1 Like

If you’re on the Edit Observation page, it is possible to type in the “Where were you?” box and save the text without getting a coordinate location.

The solution is to click Search, or to place a marker directly on the map without using the text box.

3 Likes

I’ll contact him and see if that works. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.