Adding conservation status record to taxon should automatically add it to appropriate checklist

If I add an indicator record that species X has a conservation status in a particular geography, this should automatically trigger adding to the appropriate place checklist if it is not already there. Especially since unless there is another place I can not think of, the checklist is the only place to search for lists of threatened species in a location (threatened observations can be searched for via the observations page, but not species)

It would definitely be good to at least have a handy checkbox or button to add to the appropriate checklist(s), including parent checklists.

But not sure it should always be automatic. I think there may be situations, like in the US, where a species is listed as endangered for regulatory and trade purposes, but does not naturally occur within that jurisdiction. If so, a little more thought might need to go into how to represent that species in checklist entries and taxon statuses.

2 Likes

I think the entire checklist system needs to be reviewed and perhaps restructured.

Checklists are extremely valuable if you’re running a project (of any sort), yet they’re very inconsistent and certain types of project apparently aren’t meant to have checklists associated with them, despite their utility.

1 Like

I think it’s already been acknowledged elsewhere that lists in iNat are a relatively old and somewhat buggy part of the infrastructure. Given their central role in the infrastructure, I’m hopeful that they might be prioritized for a re-vamp in the next annual development review. But that is beyond the scope of the feature being requested in this thread.

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware of that. It seemed appropriate, in the context of this request, to mention that the entire system may be due for an overhaul though as that would have bearing on the specific request if it were to be implemented.

2 Likes