Adding scientific names: requirement to include a note is burdensome

Adding names to a taxon now requires adding a note with each name, which I assume is mostly intended to help deal with unverifiable common names and so on. However, this also applies to scientific names. While this has been requested as a feature (and declined) to help track the authority behind synonymies https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-references-to-scientific-name-synonyms/286 it can potentially be fairly burdensome. When I create a new taxon, in response to a flag, say, I like to try to add synonyms to reduce the likelihood someone will accidentally create the same taxon under an older name. Having to write a note for each obsolete scientific name adds considerably to that workload.

I am curious as to whether other curators are finding this burdensome, and whether we should consider modifying this feature.

1 Like

When this happens to me, I just c/p the URL of whatever source has the scientific name. I don’t find it all that burdensome, though admittedly it doesn’t happen all that often.

4 Likes

That would be my approach too, and possibly including also the URL of the relevant flag if there was discussion or deviation involved. I haven’t had to add a bunch of synonyms since this was implemented, but I think an extra Ctrl-V before saving each one could become fairly routine.

3 Likes

This is similar to the approach I use for curating revisions that involve several grafts and swaps. I make a single block text that explains and sources each part of taxon change (e.g. grafting genera to tribes, populating missing genera, adding synonyms for species commonly referred to under a different name, etc.) and copy paste for each change.

4 Likes

I find it burdensome for taxa with more than maybe 2 synonyms. E.g. with POWO open, ctrl-c taxon name (so I don’t make a typo), go to iNat Taxon tab, ctrl-v name, go back to POWO tab to ctrl-c the URL for the synonym, go back to the iNat taxon tab, ctrl-v. It’s ok for one synonym but the back-and-forth for taxa that have many synonyms is tedious

2 Likes

Agreed. If the intent was to prevent bogus common names from being added, it’s affecting a lot more than that, and adding workload for curators who want to be thorough.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. I try to be a good curator and add synonyms when I add a new taxon, but this extra burden is very significant and creates a direct incentive not to do a good job of curation.

1 Like

Perhaps instead of removing the comment/source requirement, a better solution would be to allow adding synonyms during taxon creation. If a bunch of synonyms share the same source one could then just c/p the source in each field instead of doing it spread out over different pages.

5 Likes

This seems reasonable.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.