All screenshots are identified at first as Alle sp

I usually upload my observation via screenshot on the website (on Chrome or Safari) because because converting my RAW pictures to JPG for uploading is quite time-consuming.

However, I’ve encountered a minor issue since adopting this method: all my observations are automatically identified as Alle sp.
It is not really a problem and it is easily fixable on the website by selecting all observation and clearing the species field.

Thank you for the help

Ps: since I started to use this method and have this little problem, I only want to go North to see a Alle sp. and put it automatically on iNat.

welcome to the forum

Do your screenshots all have the same particular word or letter string in the file name?


Thank you very much!
Yes, they are named “Schermata 202… .png”

I just tried a little experiment, I took two original pictures and two screenshots and I uploaded them.
Picture 2 and 4 are original JPG and 1 and 4 are screenshots. I changed the names of picture 3 and 4 to test if it was the name that was changing the id, and yes, it is the name!

Schermata 2024-04-10 alle 13.38.21

1 Like

The uploader will try to autofill the ID field based on file name, tags etc. Sometimes this is very helpful and a time saver, eg if you name your photos based on species names, whilst other times it can produced unexpected/unwanted results like here


This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.