Allow for "blocking" of observations(/photos?) of a particular taxa

very similar topic to here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/is-a-photo-of-entrails-too-offensive-for-inaturalist/5465

and in particular several ideas raised as potential mitigators, I personally like the idea of marking as “potentially distressing content” and then allowing users to see a message and choose to show pictures, but only if it is an “opt in” scenario, we don’t want to make iNat difficult to use for the intended audience… also discussed is the notion that iNat is ABOUT this stuff… and anyone with a serious “trigger” from this stuff would surely be either avoiding iNat, or exposing themselves in a controlled way such as through a counsellor for exposure therapy. iNat is not something you just walk past on the street without any sort of warning, so it’s not in anyway encumbent on iNat to provision for controls… If the sign on the door says “nature stuff inside”, and you have a fear of some aspects of nature stuff, then enter with caution!

FWIW, I had a physical fear response to spiders and moths (the big lumpy ones that stick in your throat when you are a kid drinking the hot chocolate on a school camp and not realising it wasn’t just milk powder not mixed properly…) and via iNat I am now at a point where I can handle them with only minor flickers of anxiety…

5 Likes