Link observations directly from photo browser page thumbnails

When you search for a taxon (say, Phallus ravenelii) and then go to the photo browser page by clicking “view more”, you see a bunch of pictures from observations… but you can’t just go directly to the individual observation (you have to enlarge, then click "view observation). The only direct links in the photo browser take you to the taxon page you just came from. I think that makes no sense, and it’s very annoying because I keep clicking on the names and are therefore taken back to the taxon page instead of the observation.

Linking directly to the observations would make it easier to go through the images to make sure the species are correctly classified, and then quickly go to the observation page of potentially misclassified ones to correct the IDs.

Yes please, this one has been a longtime pet peeve of mine.

Just to illustrate: something in the caption on hover should link to the individual observation.

I am almost always viewing the taxon page photo browser for a single species, but I guess some people might look at photos for rank genus and above, in which case some text there should link to a descendant taxon as needed.

3 Likes

Yes please, please (there are lots of reasons for working from the taxon page).

2 Likes

I would love to see this implemented, too.

2 Likes

I agree, there should be a link to the observation. For photos that are used in more than one observation (eg https://www.inaturalist.org/photos/57988505) we might not be able to link to the correct observation from the taxon browser. Acceptable? Or would linking directly to a photo’s page rather to an observation be OK?

2 Likes

I’d much rather it link the to observation than the photo detail page.

There must be a way for it to know which one to link to?

3 Likes

I would hope so, but I can’t confirm yet. Just bringing it up as a situation that may arise.

3 Likes

Thanks, Tony. I think either suggestion would be an improvement over status quo, with slight preference for linking directly to the observation (even if difficulties arise in a smaller subset of cases).

2 Likes

If the photo browser page were the same page as a new view type in a redesigned Explore, where you can view all photos, I’d be happy with that too. :)

Posted about that here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/ideas-for-a-revamped-explore-observations-search-page/8439/79

2 Likes