Allow users to enter singular and plural names into iNat

I’m concerned that this would turn iNaturalist into something it’s not meant to be: a database of and guide for any common name or biological term. I think that would be a great and important thing, but it should be its own separate resource, and functionality can be built specifically for those data. iNat could maybe pull in data from it like it does with Wikipedia or link to it like it does with Macrostrat. I would honestly work on entering all that information on a different site, or a Google Sheet, or something similar, because we can’t promise iNaturalist will support the name-focused functionality you’re envisioning. It’s outside the scope of iNaturalist. iNaturalist records observations and its functionality should be geared toward observations.

That’s super interesting, and I can see how it would be helpful in search to have both forms of the name entered. I’m less convinced there needs to be new functionality that labels the name singular or plural, but I can see some utility for it to help reduce confusion.

3 Likes