Anyone else miss a chance to document a truly epic observation?

I saw a mink once, but it was trying to kill my chickens so I was too busy chasing it away to get a picture.

1 Like

Yes, skinks (all lizards really) are so fast! Luckily they usually stop after a short dash when I get close so I can get a reasonable picture most of the time

I often miss rare birds I see around my college town because I donā€™t have my camera on-hand since Iā€™m just walking between classes. That said, my most memorable miss was my first ever Black Bear; I saw it running from the van I was in while traveling in the Cascades with the Seattle Audubon Young Birders a few years back, but by the time we had all pooled out of it, the bear had run back into the treeline and vanished. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen once since then.

1 Like

Ugh youā€™ve remined me that I missed getting a shot of a massive softshell in the Everglades. I feel your pain.

And that sounds like a great experience with the eagles. Still a great thing to see even if you couldnā€™t get a photo

1 Like

Maybe sacrifice one egg to it and you can get a good shot! Hopefully that keeps it away from your chickens too

Raccoon dogs are so interesting, very unfortunate you couldnā€™t get a good shot.

In regards to the hares, I usually have the same issue with birds and lizards so Iā€™ve started to have my camera (phone) in my hand and ready to take a shot as Iā€™m walking on a trail

1 Like

We reinforced the fence with smaller wire (it could slip through the large holes) and it hasnā€™t come back.

1 Like

Hopefully you get to see a black bear again, I always love to see large mammals, especially carnivorans.

I actually got a pretty good picture earlier today of a hawk, from the bus, so Iā€™m happy about that. Itā€™s a rarity.

2 Likes

I have a couple of missed black bear opportunities as well, usually running across/away from the road. The ones I did catch on camera were down in the Smokies where I guess they are so used to people stopping and piling out of cars to get a picture of them that itā€™s just a normal part of their day I guess.

2 Likes

Flying low and not looking where it was going!

1 Like

Merged another topic here

Once I saw an american badger, which is rare in Ontario (fewer than 200), and didnā€™t have enough time to take out my camera. Another time, I saw a pileated woodpecker in Algonquin Provincial Park, which is not found in my area, and once again, I couldnā€™t get my camera out in time.

2 Likes

Dunno if this is ā€œTruly Epicā€, but when coming back from school (on my auntā€™s motorbike) I saw a Common redshank (a lifer for me) on a mudflat. We stopped, and I got quite close. But we forgot to pack my phone in auntā€™s purse, so I missed it :(

Today I saw one, but there was huge traffic and we were getting late so we couldnā€™t stop to photograph it :(

Tomorrow hopefully I catch him, wish me luck :[

2 Likes

That area is the only place I can reliably see more than one species of Sandpiper, namely:

• Whimbrel
  • Common Redshank

There is one recent, confirmed sighting of the only sandpiper I have seen elsewhere:

• Common Sandpiper

And one old sighting from last year:

• Black-tailed Godwit

Hereā€™s a list: https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L12271599,L13499538,L16921893

Thereā€™s definitely a ton of missed opportunities on species that I want to document, but one of the more epic ones would definitely be the leopard cat, since the ones I encountered are quite elusive and shy, theyā€™d be gone already before I was able to react and get my camera out for a record

3 Likes

I was lazy to go out looking for butterflies one day and decided to sleep in, then someone found this: Malay Guava Blue (Subspecies Virachola subguttata malaya) from Mandai Rd Track 7, Singapore on August 07, 2019 at 12:14 PM by Tsang Kwok Choong Ā· iNaturalist

I was planning to go to the exact same location where the observer had found this extremely rare butterfly (itā€™s not been sighted in Singapore for six decades; you can read all about it here: SINGAPORE BIODIVERSITY RECORDS XXXX: XX (nus.edu.sg)), where i would have met him and definitely would have shot the butterfly as well. I remember him saying that it was a complete fluke and that the butterfly was unusually docile, which because of its pristine condition, makes me suspect that it had just freshly eclosed. The observer was a nice old man who has since passed away, unfortunately.

So yeah, i think about this a lot

4 Likes

Donā€™t feel bad, I was Fly Fishing on Sanibel Island a few years ago, and had two different Ospreys dive bomb fish less than 20 yards from me, both within 10-15 minutes of each other, and didnt get a pic of either of them!

1 Like

In 1997, I was part of a team supporting a group of women who were traversing the Himalaya - east to west - from Arunachal Pradesh to the tip of Ladakh (Karakoram Pass).

I was with them for 67 days (of their total journey time of some 220 odd days) - only trekking - no vehicles ā€“ just walking and 99.9% of the route was the high Himalaya

Needless to say that during the 67 days we saw some amazing landscapes and an incredible variety of life.

These are my few favourites - among the many

In the Valley of flowers I was ahead of the group by about 100 metres or so. In the quiet of the morning and I was also really quiet I emerged onto a small grassy opening on a plateau - ringed on two sides by steepish slopes - there was a Musk Deer that was dozing and enjoying the morning sun. The Musk Deer soon saw me and took off up one of the steep slopes like a rocket and disappeared in almost the blink of an eye

The second was was a group of Tibetan Wild Ass that emerged on the top of a ridge at dawn just after a snow storm.

6 Likes

I can relate to that. My family was moving cross-country, camping along the way. Pocono Mts of Pennsylvania, a black bear barged through our campsite on its way to the next campsite, where people were cooking supper. I was too busy dodging out of its way and trying to avoid tripping over the fire circle to think about going for my camera.

2 Likes