Anyone have all eight kingdoms? (Gotta Catch 'Em All!)

I have 7 out of 8. I just need Protozoa. (I see others suggest looking for slime mold.)

I got virus only because some came with the bean seeds I bought. Unfortunately, Bean Common Mosaic Virus is not in the iNaturalist list yet.

(I noticed some people submitted their positive COVID-19 test as a virus observation, but I hope none of you need to go this route for your virus observation. Just look for SARS-CoV-2 or Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus ssp. 2)

From a visit to Yellowstone: Bacteria and Archaea. (But I donā€™t think these will ever reach Research Grade.)

From the seashore: kelp.

2 Likes

I donā€™t make any particular effort to try to record observations of new things, however, it is always nice to record something I havenā€™t seen, or been aware of, before. Recently I saw an observation of invertebrate iridescent virus 31 and remembered I had photographed a woodlouse a few years earlier because it was such a strange colour. If I hadnā€™t seen the observation on iNat I would never have known why it was that colour, or anything about this family of viruses. My observation was also useful for the people studying the virus to extend the known range.

5 Likes

bacteria:
star jelly

virus:
avipoxvirus

protozoa:
slime molds

chromista:
seaweed

plant, animal, fungi, have tons of all of them

3 Likes

i think it depends on the animal. ruminants and other herbivores that consume a lot of cellulose and legumes should have a lot of methanogens in their guts.

but dogs and cats? not so much.

2 Likes

I have all of them

7/8 research grade since every archaea on iNat was IDed back to kingdom yesterday

1 Like

Happened to notice this thread while dealing with a sinus cold - now trying to figure out how to use that to get Virus. Photo of me blowing my nose with description of symptoms maybe? Easier when you have proof of a test such as the case with the coronavirus - surprised by the low number of observations (7) for that one

Why, and by whom? Should we get out the torches and pitchforks?

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure why. Itā€™s all by the same user and I know youā€™re joking but I donā€™t feel comfortable putting someone on the spot like that, if you are really interested you can check it out. I read a little bit on the archaea in Yellowstone and it seems to me that although no one has microscopic evidence for the formerly most common species (sulfolobus solfataricus) the genus is known to be the most common one in Yellowstone so it is almost certain that they are present in most of the photos

Thank you! I didnt thing it would be that easy, but I was missing the obvious right under my nose!

1 Like

Oh, a challenge!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.