Batch adding annotations?

Correct, it has to be done one at a time. Which I think is good, IDs and annotations should should be important enough that you should take some time to do them.

2 Likes

It certainly varies by taxa and annotation field (sex and life stage of a snake may be difficult to determine without closely examining photographs), but butterflies and beetles can, in most cases, be confidently assigned to life stage (egg, larva, pupa, adult) by a quick glance.

2 Likes

@tiwane Tony - this is an example of inefficiency. I agree that it’s important, but it doesn’t take much time to deduce the life stage or flowering status of something. The need to open hundreds of observations individually is a massive disincentive to adding annotations.

6 Likes

I would be nearly impossible for me to accurately assess the flowering phenology based on a single small thumbnail. Whether or not some of the flowers are budding or fruiting would be very easily overlooked.

3 Likes

I’ve personally mostly given up on annotating because of how slow it is, even in Identify mode. If it were possible to do by batch in the uploader only I think that would take care of the “actually take time to look at the thing” concern, since after all they’re my own photos that I was moments ago sorting and cropping.

I just did all of my Eschscholzia poppies in the Identify pane yesterday, and that definitely required opening each one individually and taking a good look for fruits and buds. But it would be easy to distinguish a caterpillar from an adult butterfly from a thumbnail (as was pointed out).

6 Likes

I’d like to be able to batch edit annotations at least for my own observations. I know these photos reasonably well, and choose only the ones obviously in flower when working from thumbnails. I’ve tried doing this through My Observations but the system returns 8 records where there should be many hundred. I’ve tried fooling with the url, but so far no luck - it stubbornly returns all my obs.

Here’s what I tried:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&reviewed=any&user_id=notyouraveragecatlady&verifiable=any&without_term_id=12&without_term_value_id=13

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.