Bird's nest and nest parasite egg

I found what appears to be a vireo nest with a brown-headed cowbird eggshell in it. I intend to post it as two observations. I understand that getting an identification on a bird nest might be a bit of a stretch, but is there otherwise any problem with my plan?

3 Likes

Two separate observations is perfectly fine. It would be courteous to maybe alter each photo so that the organism of interest is center-framed or zoomed in.

5 Likes

You can upload one picture and then duplicate it (upper right corner). I would write a little bit information in each of the duplicated observation either as description or as a comment, just to make clear that you mean in one observation the nest and in the other observation the eggshell.

3 Likes

I post bird nests and feathers all the time. When it comes to nests they rarely get id’ed and at best you might be able to get a genius ID. Vireo nests are fairly unique. So it will probably just get ID’ed as vireos.

4 Likes

id suggest clarifying that the nest observation is NOT about the eggshell. confusion happens a lot and it can be frustrating because people dont always take back

3 Likes

There is an Eggs & Nests project. If you join the project and add your observations you’re likely to attract the attention to folks who are interested in nests and eggs. I’ve used a similar ploy to attract the attention of feather fanciers.

Whatever you’re trying to ID, there’s probably a project for people who are interested in those things… and less knowledgeable people trying to identify them.

7 Likes

Two observations sounds good to me and is something I see a lot of people do. You can also link to the other observation as well so people stumbling upon one or the other can access the complement easily.

I want to take this moment to plug the Brood Parasites In Action project which would be happy to take your cowbird egg observation. :)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.