Can an observation be updated to include picture of same plant, different season?

I just tried to add a new picture to an observation I made in the spring. I seem to have obliterated the original pictures and am not sure whether I made a mistake or it was disallowed. It would be helpful to be able to look at plants through their life cycle.

New day = new observation. There are fields you can use to link them, though.

5 Likes

There is no process to ‘disallow’ an update, so it was not a technical issue you encountered.

As noted above however, the definition of an observation on the site is an encounter with a single organism at a single point in time. So even if it is the same plant, observing and recording it multiple times means they need to be done as separate records.

4 Likes

If you want to link these similar observations together, there are a number of ways to do it.

1. You can post the separate observation links to the description.
  2. You can use the observation ID in the url as a mutual tag.
  3. You can use the “similar observation set” in the observation fields selection and input the observation ID there.

A lot of people including myself use these methods to track life stages of certain organisms, but seasonal variations of the same plant would work just as well.

5 Likes

thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.