Canon or Sony camera?

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I went back to the store with my lens and they pulled out a couple of adapters and let me try. The Canon just worked better with my stuff (not that surprising, considering that my stuff is for a Canon), and since it was more comfortable in the hand with the shutter button in a location I’m more used to, I decided to stick with Canon. I spent more than I was intending (the box came with an L series lens), but I figure with how often I use cameras, it’ll be worth it.

6 Likes

Congrats on a new camera!.)

2 Likes

Also: there’s no focus bracketing on Sonys, which is the primary reason I’m looking elsewhere when it comes time to get a new camera.

I used Canon for years and they are terrific cameras but then I switched to Sony which find so much better. Remember that Sony make the best sensors which are used by many of the other camera companies and the sensor is what matters (they have excellent lenses). Nikon and Fuji for a start. There is something about the colour fidelity in Sony that cannot be surpassed.

Not true

Remember that Nikon use Sony sensors

Which Sony mirrorless cameras have focus bracketing?

1 Like

I’ve been researching these two as well. From what I can tell, the main things are that jpegs will generally have nicer color on the Canon, and the Canon has faster burst and possibly slightly faster auto focus. The Canon also has a higher resolution screen, and has a very small crop in 4k60 video compared to the Sony. The Sony on the other hand can shoot video more or less uninterrupted, unlike the Canon which overheats and shuts down after like 30 minutes recording. The Sony system has been around longer, so there are more lenses to choose from at the moment. The Sony is higher megapixel by quite a bit. Those are the main things that I can think of. They both seem great so it’s hard to choose, but I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

But If you’re used to Canon, and if you have any ef lenses R6 makes a lot of sense.

I have been having fun with it since I got it. I don’t use the video, and have always turned off cameras when not actively using them, so I haven’t had issues with battery. The 24-105 lens that came with it is pretty nice and yesterday I picked up an adapter to use my other lens’ with. Working well.

2 Likes

@earthknight this is somewhat different from the original question, but do you have reccs for a neck strap? I have a Sony a7 IV, and am happy with it, but haven’t figured out what the most comfortable way to carry it on my body when out naturalizing. I also found a backpack that I prefer over a holster.

I use teh Peak Design slide strap if I have a big lens on, I much prefer to to other shoulder straps I’ve tried that just attach to the tripod mount. With this I can attach it to the tripod mount and one of the side mounts and it can stay close to my body wihtout spinning around as I walk.

When I have my macro lens on, I use the Peak Design clip, which I have on a backpack strap. Then the camera doesn’t slide on a strap around if I’m flipping a log or bending down.

1 Like

Wow, there is some amazing input and advice on this thread!

IF you are still pondering between those two cameras, perhaps try a search engine comparison:

Canon R6 vs Sony Alpha 7 mk 4

There are several direct comparisons on YouTube also.

I use the Hama “Quick Shoot Strap”. It’s pretty inexpensive (about $22 on Amazon - which is odd as that’s less than half the price in the UK) and is really comfortable. One of the things that I really like about it is that, unlike most other camera slings, the attachment point is flat and drilled for a tripod mount, so you can attach your own quick-release plate, or attach directly to the tripod. Other slings tend to use a button type attachment and render the tripod mount unusable.

If you want to stick with a neck sling (I’d really recommend trying out a shoulder sling) then my recommendation would be to get a wide one, ideally with decent padding. The broader the strap is the better it distributes the weight of the camera and the more comfortable it is to carry as a result. I don’t have a specific neck strap recommendation as I’ve stopped using them and I doubt I’ll go back to using them on anything other than really small cameras.

Hama, Black Rapid, and Peak all make good straps and slings. Some of them can wind up being pretty expensive, so shop around a bit.

@tiwane could you please post a link to the peak design clip as i optimisation want to prevent the camera / binoculars slide around.

I normally have 3 devices - camera with a long lens, binoculars, and a sound recorded (and often the parabola) – along with a back pack – so every bit of optimisation helps, and right now it is hard

(Sorry for diverting from the original thread – maybe we need a new one)

1 Like

Thanks. That was a mental hiccup on my part – I meant to ask for your 'shoulder sling" reccs, not neck strap. Thanks for answering both.

Cool. When you have your macro, do you also have the body attached to the slide strap? or it’s just hanging directly from your backback strap without an additional sling/strap around your neck/shoulder?

That’s part of what I like about the Hama I use. It’s a flat attachment point with no swivel, so even though it’s only attached at one point the camera doesn’t rotate.

I’ve tried slings that have swivels in them and I don’t like them much.

1 Like

+1 for chest/shoulder carry. neck strap will get uncomfortable no matter how much padding you add. long lens on hip carry swings around too much for my comfort.

Best is Cotton Carrier but expensive.

I use a knock off Peak Design clip on a hydration pack. The water/snacks in the back helps to counter balance the camera and lens on the front. I removed the spring lock mechanism so I can get the camera out quicker. If your pack has a cinch strap across the chest, loosen it and it could be used as a rest to carry the long lens across the chest in a manner similar to a long rifle. Cross the arms, one arm sits on the strap and the focusing hand carries the lens resting on top. unfold the arms and you are ready to shoot in a second.

I used the same setup for bird and macros since I have long macro lens.

1 Like

what about nikon camera?