What camera do you use for nature photography?

Just wondering what the distribution of camera types among iNatters is.

Note: If you use more then one pick the one you use the most. Only select 2 if both apply to that camera or you use both cameras equally. More advced compact camera could also be called superzoom/bridge camera. (This section was added on recommendation).

• Phone camera
  • basic compact camera
  • More advanced compact camera
  • DSLR
  • Mirrorless camera
  • Film camera
  • Waterproof camera

0 voters

5 Likes

Might want to put ā€˜more advanced compact cameraā€™ as ā€˜bridge cameraā€™ or ā€˜superzoomā€™; or add that option. They have long zoom and manual controls. Many look like DSLRs but the lenses cannot be removed. I have seen plenty of people use superzooms on iNaturalist.

12 Likes

I have a small pocket stashable compact camera but with how it can be configured and the decent zoom I get with the lens Iā€™d consider it under that advanced option that was suggested above! Iā€™m more of a hobbyist slash enthusiast birder and not a professional so it was the perfect option for providing me with a good piece of equipment without tearing into my wallet too much!

4 Likes

Yes. The list is a bit confusing. I primarily use a Canon SX70. I mostly call it a bridge camera. Without ā€œBridgeā€ on the list, I checked mirrorless. I donā€™t think it has a mirror. Itā€™s not what I call compact or pocketable.

Edited vote to More Advanced Compact. Also removed Phone Camera since I only use it for large readily identifiable species or random photos when I donā€™t have a real camera.

2 Likes

Old compact Panasonic Lumix fz18 with raynox dcr-250 for smaller organism and without raynox for bigger. Last time I started to use a phone camera but sadly itā€™s quite shitty :(

5 Likes

itā€™s a little dated and represents only a small period of time, but hereā€™s some data about different cameras used to make iNat observations: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/good-cameras-for-nature-shots/1064/48.

2 Likes

Still using Canon 7D Mk II, but if the long-rumored R7 ever materializes, Iā€™ll switch to mirrorless.

2 Likes

Huawei Y6II at full or half zoom. At 14 Megapixels it isnā€™t that bad. Look at these for example:

1 Like

I use a Cannon EOS Rebel 75 with a 55-250 zoom. DSLR - I grew up with 35mm DSLR and film, so I went back to what I was used to. It meets my needs. The zoom allows me modest long distance shots, but also lets me shoot things quite close as well. I had started out with a standard lens and macro extensions, but I found it forced me to get too up close and person with insects who generally did not like it! I like this setup, and have no plans to change. Iā€™m not out to take art photos, and if cropping and light adjustment does not work, cā€™est la vie!

2 Likes

Canon 700D (DSLR) when I can, but my phone is always with me and takes decent photos, so a good deal of my observations were taken on there.

1 Like

Using my trusty yet outdated iphone7 camera, with an additional clip on macro lens for smaller subjects.

3 Likes

Old phone Xiomi mi9

For now two cameras
Nikon d750 + nikkor 105 2.8f for macro

Nikon d7500 + nikkor 200-500 for birds and mammals

4 Likes

I use Olympus TG for macro, though I do not use stacking. It is also waterproof, so have used it a bit submerged,too.

4 Likes

Although personally Iā€™ve only used them for a handful of observations (lichens, microscopic things in pond water, etc.), I suppose what isnā€™t represented on the list are USB microscopes, and microscope mounted cameras, and there might be some folks on iNat focusing on exclusively those kind of observations.

2 Likes

Sorry I canā€™t edit the poll but I have put a note above it saying that more advanced compact means superzoom or bridge.

I use a Nikon D7000 with a 80-400mm lens for long-distance subjects and the same camera with a 60mm for most insects and plants.

1 Like

Ditto - Iā€™m waiting on R7.

1 Like

I use a Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ80 and an Olympus TG-6. The Panasonic is great for birds since it has a superzoom (20-1200 mm), but the picture quality isnā€™t amazing unless youā€™re in exactly the right light. Possibly I could get more out of it if I learned to use manual settings, but those are a bit beyond me at this point. I usually use the scene mode Freeze Animal Motion, which has a faster shutter speed.
The Olympus is great for macro; it has several modes, including ā€œmicroscopeā€ and automatic focus stacking, which I hope to try out if I can find a bug thatā€™s willing to sit still for a second or two. Itā€™s also waterproof, which is a great feature - less because I actually use it underwater and more because it means I never have to worry about taking it out in the rain.

American Robin with the Panasonic: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/96546392

Jumping Spider with the Olympus: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/95200784

4 Likes

Following to see if anyone uses a film camera for iNat :laughing:

2 Likes

Same. Maybe out at Yellowstone, with the Bison.

2 Likes