Your Nature camera

These are some of the most common cameras out there.
Lets see which one you use.

• Nikon 3500
  • Fujifilm X-S10
  • Canon EOS 90D
  • Canon EOS R5
  • Sony A7R Mark IV
  • Canon EOS 6D Mark II
  • Nikon D780
  • Canon 5D Mark IV
  • Nikon D6
  • Phone
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

Looking forward to seeing which one the most iNatters use.

Canon Powershot SX70 HS

5 Likes

Panasonic LUMIX G DMC-G7

2 Likes

The cameras I use, or used and have observations taken with, are the following:

Currently - personal and work:

• Sony a7iii
  • Sony a6500
  • iPhone
  • GoPro Hero 6

For work:

• Canon 6D
  • Canon 60D
  • Sony CyberShot DSC WX350 - we gave these to our anti-poaching teams

Previously - personal and a bit of past work:

• Canon AE-1
  • Canon ELPH
  • Nikon D80
  • Nikon D90
  • Nikon D600
  • Sony a7ii
  • Sony a5400
3 Likes

Wow cool

Canon EOS 60D. In the same line as the 90D but a lot older and much cheaper second-hand. Also Olympus TG-6 for underwater.

2 Likes

I use the Canon Powershot ELPH 190 (10x optical zoom). The images it takes are nothing special, as the price is quite low, but it can get some decent photos. Although the quality is HD, it can take videos, it is very affordable at like less than $200, it is small and light, and it has basic settings, like exposure, white-balance, etc. The zoom is only 10x optical zoom, but it seems to be able to zoom into 40x (not optical), while maintaining decent quality. If you are wanting to make extravagant 4k quality images to sell, this is not the camera for you, but if you are interested in a camera to take decent pictures of birds not too far away for a personal collection, like I do, this little device might be handy! I have a couple of pictures below that I took (the Sandpiper is on the other side of a river, so it used quite a lot of zoom, as I was not on the river edge).

Sandpiper Photo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JpXE3rZi-_3j-mAi2Zv6nUD2w5SbdkOc/view?usp=sharing

River Photo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JfSDlRBM9M1qhOua-JEL8jgk0lwAN1FW/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Mine is to old for the list I guess. :-D

Canon 650D I got in 2012 … and since I moved to Colombia I use my smartphone (redmi note 10 … compromise between cheap enough so it does not hurt too much if it gets stolen at some point, but ok enough pictures) much more often than my good cam.

For underwater I use an Akaso V50 Pro … not overwhelmingly good either, but I wanted something not too expensive as underwater is not the place I am all too often.

3 Likes

For the longest time I used the Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS to take most of my shots for iNat. You can snag it for $50 bucks on Amazon and the image quality is pretty great. Here are some shots I managed to take with my PowerShot:
Red Admiral: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/98834098
Blue Dasher: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/93418018
I’ve since upgraded to a DSLR (Canon Rebel T7) and it’s allowed me to take a lot of far distance shots I wouldn’t have been able to get with the PowerShot. Having said that, I still use my PowerShot from time to time when I don’t feel inclined to lug around a bunch of lenses. It’s produces much better pictures than my phone camera and I love how it fits in my pocket.

1 Like

DS camera.

3 Likes

Nikon D300 and canon powershot sx740 hs for times i cant be lugging my dslr with me

2 Likes

Nikon P1000
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
Samsung Galaxy S10

1 Like

I use my Google Pixel 4. I bought a clip-on lens kit for it which has proven to be very useful!
I also have a Canon EOS 500, but I use it less now since I got those lenses for my phone. My phone also has more megapixels.

1 Like

Sony Cybershot DSC-W310

1 Like

If you mean the sx740, then I have the same thing and absolutely love it.

3 Likes

My pictures are very bad quality compared to other pictures in iNat, but lately I have gotten lots of praise with the pictures I made using binoculars with a phone clip.

I can set up the phone camera on one of the binoculars lenses and create nice pictures with my subject in focus and the background blurried, and lots of people asked me which camera I used.

Also, this phone has a better camera than my previous phone, at least for closeups of flowers and the colors are nicer than with my previous phone.

1 Like

Oh! I forgot that I also take pictures with a Victure trail camera.

Those are not very good quality, but the grainy images have provided me with much more information about the fauna inhabiting my garden. Their lenses may not be good, but this camera has an advantage: it is there when I am not. And when I leave, life comes back to the garden!

2 Likes

Panasonic Lumix Dc-FZ82 with a 60 x zoom for birds and anything further away than 1,5 m
Olympus Tough TG 6 for macros and underwater

2 Likes

old A7R II from ebay

1 Like

I love my Nikon D7000 with my 60mm 2.8 macro lens. I got it for insect photography and I love that I’ve been able to get shots like this Viceroy egg, this spiderling and these Robber Flies. Cameras are a really great educational tool!

1 Like