Change language on the geo_model explain page selects random page

Browser, if a website issue (, Chrome, etc) :
Edit: Windows

https://www.inaturalist.org/geo_model/14388/explain

Step 1: Select another language then English in the language chooser at the right bottom.

Step 2: The page https://www.inaturalist.org/geo_model/14388/explain does not get translated but swaps to an observation

I tried the same language switch (to Spanish or French) and I don’t go to an observation, but rather to this splash page for the Seek app:
https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/seek_app
Only the text in the bottom panel is displayed in the chosen language.
Edit: Mac OS 10.11.6 and Google Chrome 103.0.5060.134 (Official Build) (x86_64)

I see the originally reported problem in Safari 16.6 on macOS 13.5.2. Choosing another language from the popup causes my most recently-viewed observation to load, instead of a translation of the page. Maybe something wonky going on with navigating the browser’s history list?

The most recently-viewed observation does in fact load with the newly-chosen language translation. So the language translation is taking effect, but also the page is navigating away to some other page.

When I retry it indeed goes somewhere else… All posters thanks for replication of the issue.

The good news is I see the page in Dutch if it is initially loaded as Dutch. But the language chooser still has a weird behaviour, navigating to a Seek page.

@optilete, this seems like the kind of clear bug that will get fixed when the right people hear about it. It might draw more attention if you changed the title to something that specifically mentions the bad result, like “Changing language on the geo_model explain page goes to a different page”.

1 Like

We’re looking into this bug.

4 Likes

Main issue geo_model-page did not show up in Dutch, that is solved. Changed title as you proposed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. This should be fixed now

1 Like

I am afraid it is not. If I change the language of iNaturalist.org to Esperanto, my Android app changes also to Esperanto. Is this the correct behavior?

If I change to French I stay on the page and it becomes French.
If I change to Dutch I stay on the page and it becomes Dutch.

But the inference with an Android app. 1.29.14 (588) is unexpected behaviour for me.

The bug reported was that when changing language on the Geomodel explain page, you would not return to the Geomodel explain page, rather some other page you visited previously. Is that behavior still happening?

Changing your language setting on the website will change it across the platform. That behavior has not changed recently. What you’re describing sounds like the intended behavior.

1 Like

[quote=“pleary, post:10, topic:45551”]
The bug reported was that when changing language on the Geomodel explain page, you would not return to the Geomodel explain page, rather some other page you visited previously. Is that behavior still happening?
[/quote] No, this is fixed.

1 Like

I concur that the bug reported here no longer occurs.