Change request: open links that point to destinations outside of the Forum in new browser tabs

right now, if i’m reading a post and i see a link to, say, an iNaturalist observation, and if i click on that link, the browser navigates away from the Forum and to iNaturalist in the same browser tab. i would prefer that links to outside destinations open in a new browser tab by default. can a change like this be made to the Forum? (i know that i can right-click and specifically choose an option to open the link in a new tab, but that requires more clicking.)

1 Like

I too am not fond of the right-click, left-click process. I use browser shortcuts to avoid this, usually Ctrl-left click or ctrl-shift-left-click depending on the result desired (in Chrome). On a Mac substitute the Command key for the Ctrl key.

Action Shortcut
Open a link in a current tab (mouse only) Drag a link to a tab
Open a link in new background tab Ctrl + Click a link
Open a link, and jump to it Ctrl + Shift + Click a link

Source

2 Likes

This is controllable at the user preferences level, go to Interface on your account’s settings:

2 Likes

ok. great. i set it, and it seems to work for items in posts. is it also possible to apply that setting to the links (to inaturalist.org, etc.) that appear in the footer?

is it possible that there was an attempt to implement the request in the original post? i ask because i’m noticing some strange behavior in some cases when i click on links.

it seems like under default settings (open all external links in a new tab = no), clicking on some links will open them in a new browser tab, but others will open in the existing tab. for example, in this post (https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/favorite-observations/3574/3), the first link opens in the same window, but the second link opens in a new window, using default settings.

but if i change settings to open all external links in a new tab = yes, then both links above will open in new tabs.

I was able to replicate that. But no, no one has tried to implement the original request so I’m not sure what’s happening.