Changing taxon geoprivacy from obscured to open does not update observation GPS accuracy to "not recorded"

I opened the geoprivacy for Trachypithecus geei in Kamrup Metropolitan district (see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/question-about-un-obscuring-taxon-geoprivacy/2838/13). One of the two obs from Umananda Island looks great – it displays the accuracy (75 m) in the Identify Modal and has a nice accuracy circle (first image), but the other doesn’t display the circle or the accuracy value of ~30 km.

Link to the observation: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/594

I think that was an error, a holdover from when that taxon was auto-obscured. I “refreshed” the observation by voting and removing my vote for an item in the DQA and it now says accuracy “Not recorded”.

29.89 km is the same value for this test observation I made in the same area.

True accuracy displays for me while logged in:

Obscured “accuracy” displays to anyone else/while I’m logged out:

Ok, so I guess the bug is that opening an obscured observation doesn’t refresh the accuracy value if the accuracy was not recorded.

And it means if I’m going to be picky about it, I have to mark this observation as location not accurate because it wasn’t where the pin is and there’s no accuracy value set. :/

1 Like

Platform: Website

Browser: Chrome

URLs: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/2954891

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

Description of problem:

Step 1: Export observation https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/2954891, note that a positional accuracy value is not provided, despite accuracy value of 29.03km on webpage.

Step 2: See https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8654962 for a second example, although this one exports with a positional accuracy value of 5 m

Step 3: Note that both examples do not show accuracy bounds on the webpage map that match the values given in the “details” section of the webpage.

1 Like

Looks like a holdover from when that species used to be obscured in that location. https://www.inaturalist.org/flags/384725

I reindexed the observation by voting/unvoting something in the Data Quality Assessment section and it now says “Accuracy: Not recorded”.

(Removing the taxon geoprivacy should remove the associated accuracy/replace with the original true location accuracy radius when available, without requiring a manual refresh, so I would still consider this unresolved.)

2 Likes

Ah, I should have thought about the previous obscured status (especially since I was the one to unobscure it). Thanks!!

2 Likes

Filed a bug report here: https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/2703