Cheapest and easiest methods for geotagging photos

Geotag your images first and posting images to iNaturalist is a breeze, simply drag and drop.
I use a hand-held Garmin GPS, tracking whilst out, then use their Basecamp to punch the coordinates into my image files. Combine that with photool’s iMatch where I can just add a pointer to a map.

What’s the cheapest and easiest method you know for cameras without automatic geotagging?

1 Like

You’d probably like to visit old topics on themes of gps and location, there were quite man of them with info you seek for.
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/geotagging-photos/66
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/what-do-you-use-to-acquire-gps-data/12398

1 Like

Hello!
I think that what you mention is very interesting, since it is important.

Actually, when I take a photo of an animal / plant / insect, I simultaneously see my geographical coordinates on my phone, write them in a notepad along with the name of the image or a description of what I saw, then I upload it to the platform!

It’s a bit confusing, but I’ve gotten used to it since I have no other medium

After I take pics with my camera, I take a single image with the iphone. I upload all images on the same observation, iNat pulls GPS coords from the iPhone pic, then I usually delete the iPhone pic and post the observation.

6 Likes

Sometimes my son draws what he sees if he can’t get a picture first, and to get the coordinates of where he saw it he just takes a black picture or a picture of the ground or something and manually writes what he saw. Then we use that one for the location and delete it, so iNaturalist has the coordinates but not the picture. It’s not exactly the same but I think that concept of just taking a blank picture on a phone with automatic location is really helpful and smart.

3 Likes

I use Maveric or OSMand to make a track of my walking and next, when I edit my photos, I use GeoSetter to copy coordinates from gpx to exif.

The one you just described above :smiley:
Alternatively you could try this:https://sourceforge.net/projects/gpicsync/ but I prefer BaseCamp. It’s free too.

With my Nikon and Olympus cameras, I can link them to my phone and geotag the pictures using their respective phone apps. I also use Adobe Lightroom for photo cataloging and editing. With Lightroom, you can drag your pictures on to their map and geotag the pictures that way too. Another way is to carry a gps unit and track yourself, then use Lightroom (and possibly some other apps) to match up the pictures with the tracks in the gpx file. With this last method, you need to make sure your camera clock is set to match the gps clock, otherwise everything will be off. Adobe Lightroom isn’t cheap, but if you use Nikon cameras you can geotag the files in a similar fashion with the Nikon View software, which is free. Then when you export picture files out, they will be geotagged. For me, the Olympus system is the easiest on the pocketbook and camera and phone batteries, as their tracking app uses very little phone battery, and even works with your phone on airplane mode. You simply link up your phone and Olympus camera at the end of the day to geotag everything. I wish other camera systems worked so well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.