Closed debate on the use of "America"

Saying your from “the U.S.” would be like a Canadian saying their from “the Dominion” prior to 1982, which could be confused with New England. :)

“United States” and “America” both uniquely define the country, no other country has either in its name. “United States of America” is the “correct” name though.

Off topic i guess but I often use ‘The US’ and never use ‘American’ for those reasons, no one ever thought i was referring to The Dominion. I suppose these things vary from place to place

This opinion is based on my experience with feedback from Canadian folks.

1 Like

Mexico is officially: Estados Unidos Mexicanos (United Mexican States). But, no one calls it that, and so few people know it, you’re going to have to look it up to believe me.

3 Likes

It really depends on where you are. For instance, when I was traveling in Ethiopia and people asked me where I was from I would tell them “the United States” and they would look at me really confused. I would say “America” and they would know exactly what I was talking about.

4 Likes

Yep, for pretty much rest of the world America is States, not south or central Americas - and definitely not Estados Unidos Mexicanos) For other parts of american continents we usually specifically name the place (Canada, Mexico, Brazil or SOUTH America). (i say we as if ima rest of the world :joy:)

America is divided into North America, Central America, and South America.

1 Like
  1. short for the [United States of America]
  2. Also called: the Americas the American continent, including North, South, and Central America

From my looking up the definition in multiple dictionarys, and I personally have only seen “the Americas” in the second use.