Common Names of Chile Peppers

Very interesting, let me know if you find pictures of the flowers! If I’m reading this correctly they are yellow or cream when fully mature? Or they ripen to red but are picked at an immature stage?

If they’re ripening to cream at full maturity, they might be a Capsicum Baccatum, but flowers are needed to confirm species, Baccatum flowers have distinct greenish/yellow markings inside the white petals that set them apart from the other domestic pepper species.

Here’s a photo of a typical Capsicum Baccatum flower, from my garden:

2 Likes

Yes, they are fully mature at that pale creamy yellow-green color. Then past prime they turn darker and deeper yellow-green and sometimes but not usually tint very pale red just at the tip on the very last day they can be used (which day they are typically half cost).

Xcatic is the maya word for güero. (A güero or güera is a person in Mexico with lighter hair.)

I don’t know if it is important but geographically we are east of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec so a lot of our species are unique to here, which is why they have maya names and are on the SAGARPA list with those.

Chawa / Chawak is the other one that immediately comes to mind that I think is native to here.

In the United States, at least, a lot of chile peppers are named after where they came from:

• Anaheim – Anaheim, California
  • Hatch – Hatch Valley, New Mexico
  • Habanero – Havana, Cuba
  • Jalapeño – Jalapa, Mexico
  • Poblano – Puebla, Mexico
  • Serrano – the Sierra Madre
  • Cayenne – Cayenne, French Guiana
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.