I think educators / teachers should pair up with local iNat power users, and be mentored in how to run their assignments/projects. I would volunteer!
I’m a fan of the idea of probationary accounts for all new users:
- Observations and IDs made under probationary period are flagged as “under probation”
- Probationary IDs don’t count to CID
- Optional “Mentor Account”, which can log in and make limited changes in an account (ie not able to view personal/direct messages, but can fix dates, pin locations, withdraw and apply new IDs, etc)
- Mentor account or a curator/staff can release the probationary account early, for keen and capable students or for experts/specialists signing up. Option to release all existing IDs/Obs from probation when releasing an account early.
- Individual probationary IDs or observations can be released, one at a time, once mentor/curator/staff have checked them.
- Other users can have an account setting to either include or exclude seeing probationary obs/ids
I would imagine that for a lot of users that show responsibility and capability from the outset, it would just be a simple release account and obs/ids, and by the time the probationary period is up (after which IDs and Obs made are normal), most duress users would have lost interest and/or requirement to be using the site.
Another possibility is to have teachers give US the ability to vote on whether the content/interaction from the student warrants a pass or a fail!