Creating lists of freshwater invertebrates for Victoria, Australia

I’m not sure if it holds in other regions, but on South Pacific islands, a number of estuarine crabs in Sesarmidae and Varunidae are also found in purely freshwater streams further inland

I have seen river crabs in the Dominican Republic, which are Epiloboceridae. But that seems to be a Caribbean endemic family.

I am creating a project for Freshwater Invertebrates and need to finish it with freshwater true crabs. Can anyone help me list them?

(Freshwater crabs in Victoria, Australia)

The only candidate would be Austrothelphusa transversa but I don’t believe it makes it south beyond NSW

1 Like

(see also: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/what-true-crabs-are-freshwater/48210)

I know. I created another one because not as many people were looking at it.

Please don’t do make new threads to bump old topics that are still open. I’ve moved the recent topic here to keep the discussion in the same place and organized.

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks cthawley.

That may be because of the narrow geographical scope. Whenever you specify a place, you are by definition only asking a subset of the users of the whole forum.

I am creating a project including Freshwater Tardigrades, but am not sure which are freshwater. Can anyone help me list them?

Most tardigrades are technically ‘freshwater’, as their most common habitat is in moisture films on mosses and other similar vegetation, hence one of their other common names, ‘moss piglets’.

If you’re referring to ones found specifically in freshwater aquatic habitats like rivers and lakes versus ones found in wet terrestrial environments of marine environments that’s a different story.

I suspect that many of the more terrestrial ones can also do well in streams, wetlands, and lakes as they’re already in a form of freshwater system.

Of the 900-1300 or so tardigrade species known only around 150 are known to be from non-freshwater (eg. marine) areas and even the more terrestrial ones are still considered to be aquatic organisms.

Depending on whether your proposed project is global or regional it’s worth looking at the many tardigrade gides that are specific to certain areas.

3 Likes

Forgot to put the area in (Victoria, Australia).

It looks like you had several topics related to the same effort so I merged them here and moved it to Nature Talk.

1 Like

Can you close this topic @bouteloua?

Closed at request of the OP