Disagreeing with Myself

Platform: Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Firefox

URLs of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/87069697

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

Description of problem:
I’ve been identifying a lot of plants as being in the Asteraceae family recently, so I accidentally typed it in yet another time on the observation above, where it wasn’t relevant. To correct myself, I went back to “Suggest an Identification” and entered the taxon I really meant (Fabaceae) and clicked the “Done” button. I expected this to automatically withdraw my previous suggestion and replace it with the new one, which it did - but it also marked me as disagreeing with my previous ID. This doesn’t make sense to me, since it’s saying I disagree with myself. Should that even be possible?

I could go back and withdraw my latest ID, make sure all my previous IDs are withdrawn, and re-add my Fabaceae ID to see whether that fixes the weirdness, but I thought I’d point this out first.

I don’t think this is a bug. If you think it’s Fabaceae, you are disagreeing that it’s Asteraceae. Those are mutually exclusive, so a disagreement makes sense. You are disagreeing with a past (withdrawn) ID, so I don’t see an issue with that.

3 Likes

This is normal behavior - one ID disagreeing with another - it just so happens that they were put in by the same person but that doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

Click edit and delete.
I withdraw wrong IDs if there is discussion afterwards. But a mistake can be tidied away.

4 Likes

I understand why straight up deleting is not advised, but in this case (and others like typos, misclicks, etc.) with no other ID in between, it’s more than fair, same principle as most forums not displaying any mark for edits done within a short time of posting.

That said, I don’t know how it’s dealt with, notification wise, it might be confusing but not ultimately that big of an issue.

Thanks, @dianastuder! I wasn’t aware that was an option.

2 Likes

Delete option is hidden away. You have to hunt for it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.