Some odd ID conflict issues

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Firefox, apparently Chrome also. I don’t think it’s related to browser.

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/142469813 Unfortunately, the post holding up this ID had to be deleted. Perhaps admins can still see its effects?

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): Lately I’ve been seeing some odd ID issues where a previous ID I proposed would be withdrawn as normal when I pinned an observation down to a more certain ID, but it would still register as a conflicting ID until I deleted the post entirely, oddly, even if the ID was of a higher taxon that included the newer ID. This just happened with the sole Ute insulagemmae observation so far ID’d on the site. It would not register it as U. insulagemmae on that species page until I deleted my old auto-withdrawn Sycon ID entirely. But the very second I did, it showed up. Before this I got a weird maverick label for an ID that was a member of higher taxa (there weren’t even enough IDs to qualify as a maverick, if I remember right) and the maverick label wouldn’t go away until I deleted my withdrawn ID.

As a side note, Bouteloua closed the thread about the Ctrl + left click issue before I could mention that it’s still happening.

I’m seeing it say “blue_lotus disagrees this is Genus Sycon Hairy Tube Sponges,” but I see that there is no ID of genus Sycon still there. Definitely looks like a bug to me too!

I deleted the ID of “Sycon”, but yeah, the “disagreement” is still there.

1 Like

it might be a little clearer if you capture screenshots of each step of the process:

1. delete your current ID. (don’t worry. you’ll add it back later.)
  2. take a screenshot.
  3. add a Sycon ID.
  4. take a screenshot.
  5. add the Ute insulagemmae ID.
  6. take a screenshot.
  7. delete your Sycon ID. (at this point, you should be back in the same boat as before.)
  8. take a screenshot.
  9. add the screenshots you took to this discussion.

it doesn’t really matter that the disagreement indicator is here though, does it? it’s not really affecting anything.

1 Like

You’re right; the disagreement indicator doesn’t affect anything because that always shows up if you leave a disagreeing ID and the person who you are disagreeing with deletes the ID in question… but it is weird that it said it was a disagreement at all. Maybe the taxon wasn’t set up properly for that species?

it’s a disagreement because your latest ID is different than the previous observation taxon.

I’m pretty sure it didn’t used to do this. I’m seeing it happen more frequently too. Now what is going on here?

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/130483070

There must have been an ID of Scleractinia that has since been deleted. At the time Life was added, the identifier disagreed with Scleractinia, and since this is a branch disagreement (more details in the Disagreements section here), the system interprets that to mean the identifier doesn’t think it’s Scleractinia, nor is it anything on the branch from Life to Scleractinia. (I’m guessing this is probably not what the identifier intended, and a message to them would have a good chance of fixing the issue.)
Since this ID disagrees with everything on that branch, Chelonaplysilla violacea doesn’t have a high enough score.

3 Likes

There must have been an ID of Scleractinia that has since been deleted.

Is this something only an admin can see?

No, it’s because there’s a disagreement statement. The Scleractinia ID must have been there so the identifier could disagree with it.

2 Likes

LOL I totally overlooked this.

and obviously Life disagrees with all the things, for the CID algorithm. Defies human logic. Your example should, for merely human identifiers, show as species and needs ID. The disagreement is dead, that ID has been deleted, but iNat refuses to let it lie down and die. The linked blog post is 4 years old. iNatters continue to struggle around this confuddlement.

https://www.inaturalist.org/blog/25514-clarifying-ancestor-disagreements

Yeah the whole >2/3 required to reach RG is a mess too. All it takes is one teenager with a camera and a friend both making an account, ID’ing something absurdly wrong, then it takes FIVE experts to undo this.

1 Like

There isn’t enough information here to tell whether there is a bug, and if so, what it might be, so I’m going to close this report. If you find something suspicious later, you can message the moderators to reopen it.

1 Like