Disappearing photos

Hi all. Complete newbie here.
Just a quick question, why have a couple of my photos disappeared from my observations.
There is no copyright infringement as they’re my pics.

Can you please link the observations with missing photos? I see all your observations with photos in each.

Hi chrispettifor, welcome! We’ve had a few reports of similar issues recently that we’re investigating. Can you clarify:

1. Which observations are affected?
  2. Are the photos missing from the app, website, or both?

A log file will further help with troubleshooting. To send a log file, go to the Settings tab in the app and tap three times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log file to help@inaturalist.org. Thanks and sorry for the hassle!

2 Likes

Yea, I’ve had this problem a few times. It normally duplicates the observation and puts the image in one, without any date/location and then the date location go over to their own observation.

It tends to happen when I don’t have service and then the app tries to load the observations over a really weak connection. Of course, I haven’t had this happen since quarantine since I haven’t been going anywhere that would make me lose service. If it happens to me again I will try to send some logs as well. I know there are several Ohio users that this happens to as well (and I can send their usernames to you if you want)

2 Likes

Thanks MaLisa. Please just ask them to send logs immediately if they notice the observation splitting happen again.

Can do. I will send a few of them links to this forum post. I’m not sure how many of them notice it happens.

1 Like

That sounds more like the problem here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/android-observation-errors-on-slow-internet/10285/10

2 Likes

As for me it is a Common issue.
When I send pictures via seek, it can happen that the picture can’t be send.
I have seen an error message this morning.
But it often also happens that an observation gets multiplicated.
Got one this morning, which showed up in intat three times.
If it affects only a few observations and you know about it, you can easily handle it.

But I can imagine that it could be frustrating, when you can’t fix it and have to delete, cause you don’t know which was the correct picture.

I think it happens, when the internet connection is low.

I suspect that @chrispettifor is experiencing a bug that a few other users have reported via email. The app is not showing photos for some observations, but the photos are still on our server and appear on the website. Signing out of the app and signing back in usually fixes it.

However, if you are experiencing the issue I described above, as soon as possible please email us at help@inaturalist.org and send a screenshot of what you see, log files from the app, and let us know if there is any action you did that you think precipitated it. To send log files, go to the Settings tab in the app and tap three times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log files to us.

Ooh, same bug possibly happened for me in 1.19.6 (428) yesterday: when I went to sync my obs, no photos were visible for most of the unsynced observations. After syncing they still had no thumbnail images or full size image when opening an individual observation. I had recently clicked “Free up space” in the Google Photos app some time before syncing the observations, so I planned to re-attach the photos later. Then last night I saw the photos had actually uploaded to the website after all.

The images do now appear in the app so I’ll probably not bother with a log file (?), but will send one if it happens again. This was a Pixel 3 which uses Google Photos as the main gallery.

1 Like

Thanks @bouteloua! I’ve got that device so I’ll see if I can replicate.

1 Like

OK, there’s a potential fix for this in the beta version of the Android app (version 1.19.5 +427 or later). If anyone is experiencing it and wants to be a beta tester, they can do so here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.inaturalist.android

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.