Escaped pets with no established population

Excellent, thanks everybody for the clarification. No thumbs down on the Organism is wild field for escaped pets from now on and I’ll go back and change the designation for observations I hit the thumbs down on previously.

1 Like

Because the tree can’t move. If the budgie falls dead on the ground the second it leaves the house I wouldn’t count it either.

3 Likes

Makes me glad I don’t comment on everything!

2 Likes

been there, done that. haha

1 Like

Just reiterating a comment I made in this discussion on an escaped bird record.

I think of it as “wild/captive” describing it state, not its origin.
Observation fields like “escapee” or “cultivar” are used as a descriptor of origin.

Having said that I just ran into this record (https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/33093106) where an escaped pet was found wandering “wild”, but returned to captivity shortly thereafter. That one would be marked captive in my view.

4 Likes

In my humble opinion, if population is or becomes established, yes list it. In ebird, one time sitings are called rarities such as a falcated duck that was seen for the first time ever in Anchorage. It was the talk of the town. Once I witnessed a couple of Plum Headed Parakeets that flew about. Saw them on multiple days also. However in this case I chose not to add them one ebird. Learned they come from the Himalayas which is somewhat similar in climate to Anchorage so could of been the beginning however I never saw them after that. The owner probably moved away. I like to count or list anything free of being captive. To me it is best practice as a record begins at the very beginning of a possible establishment. Another story was about 2 Secretary Birds escaped from the zoo. They were thriving for months. I never heard how it ended but if I was there I would have counted or listed them in my postings of both ebird and iNaturalist. Anyway, just being anecdotal and expressing my opinion throughout this comment.

2 Likes

I can only propose you to use the criterion that is followed in botany for alien plants: an alien plant that is observed growing in the wild but that still has not formed a stable population falls in the class of the casual species. (NB: not to be confused with casul observations!). Most of these species are doomed to disappear but some of them are at the beginning of their invasion.
So I would consider it as wild.

1 Like

How should we categorize animals that are feral but don’t morphologically match established feral populations?

For example, there seems to be a population of feral hogs in my area (likely descended from a few escaped pets). They’re clearly potbelly pigs, but they’re also definitely feral. I haven’t figured out if “wild boar” or “domestic pig” is a better descriptor.

Same goes for other recently feral animals, like whether pigeons clearly descended from racing pigeons should be called “feral pigeon” or “domestic pigeon.”

1 Like

I don’t know for sure about pig taxonomy, but for pigeons the question is irrelevant - domestic pigeon and feral pigeon are the same variety, Columba livia var. domestica. This is a separate issue from whether to mark an individual observation as captive/cultivated or not.

3 Likes

Agreed, whether the “ancestral stock” was domesticated or not doesn’t influence whether it is captive/cultivated or not. It’s the condition of the individual organism. So a reproducing colony of feral house cats is wild as are feral potbelly pigs, etc. Wikipedia says that Vietnamese potbelly pigs are domestic pigs (S. scrofa domesticus).

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.