Exporting a list of taxa from an iNat search - API question

Hi, apologies if it’s the wrong category but I couldn’t find anything specific to tech-talk. I am in the process of building my own Google Sheets quiz to help me learn my local bird taxa. I recently moved to Cambodia and while I was a birding novice before, now I am surrounded by unknown birds everywhere.

I already used the Wiki post of working with iNat URLs to have a handy search bookmarked. I also have a dropdown list of bird species in my sheet - it’s based on a list of taxa scraped from Wikipedia - under Birds of South East Asia. It is however about 1/3 the size of what iNat returns for the region.

I wondered if anyone could point me to a good guide or talk me through the process of scraping a list of taxa from a search query to iNat and exporting it as a plain text or .csv. I am reasonably tecchie and while I have never worked with API, with some guidance I just might manage.

I included a visual of what I’m trying to achieve.

If the Google Sheets quiz amounts to anything helpful, I’d be happy to share it here together with my quizzing workflow. People could simply plug into it whatever taxa they’re interested in.

I would use the tool pisum built, e.g. this is birds of Cambodia: https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNatAPIv1_observations_species_counts.html?place_id=7002&taxon_id=3&verifiable=true
The export button at the top left of the page will give you a csv.
Since you said you have your search URL already, I will assume you’re good with the URL for that tool, but feel free to ask any further questions.

2 Likes

This EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.