Favorite unrelated species with the same common name?

In another thread the topic of duplicate common names came up.

Like:
Golden rain tree, Cassia fistula
Golden rain, Laburnum anagyroides
Goldenrain tree, Koelreuteria paniculata

‘Urchin’ as a common name for both sea urchins and porcupines always makes me smile, personally.

Any favorite (Edited to add: or endlessly irritating) examples of unrelated species with the same common names?

1 Like

Periwinkles are both snails and garden flowers.

7 Likes

As a bug guy, I love the daddy long legs trifecta.
I had someone argue that “brown cup fungus” was exclusive to a single species of Peziza and that my use of that common name for the genus was inappropriate.
I just had to clarify which nasturtium i meant–a lot of plants go by an old scientific name which has become a common name to gardeners.

1 Like

Rockweed is a brown alga and a cute little tropical plant.

1 Like

Possums (order Diprotodontia) and opossums (order Didelphimorphia), usually pronounced the same way. Their only genetic commonality is being both marsupials.

2 Likes

Funny enough, as a fisherman this is the source of a lot of aggravation for me. Flashback to the time I spent ten minutes trying to explain to my friend that a warmouth was not a “perch,” and that “perch” was a colloquialism for similar-looking sunfish AND an actual unrelated fish…I don’t think the message ultimately sank in

3 Likes

A fritillary can be either a flower or a butterfly.

4 Likes

I got tripped up and made a bad ID once because locally stickleaf/Nasa and nettle/Urtica are both called “ortiga”. Nasa is an asterid in order Cornales, while Urtica is a rosid in order Rosales. But they both sting!

1 Like

Sunfish:

• Centrarchidae freshwater fish
  • Molidae saltwater fish
3 Likes

I have noticed that almost every instance of (cultivated) Sago Cycad on iNaturalist is identified as the unrelated Sago Palm.

Also: Areca Palm. To me, that means the genus Areca; but iNaturalist assigns it to Dypsis lutescens, which I know as butterfly palm.

1 Like

The common names for a number of butterfly genuses are the same as those of many birds, eg. Albatross, Gulls, Jays, Tits, Crows.

2 Likes

I am actually generally more annoyed by common names, especially when they have many meanings as it can complicate communication quite a bit (that does not mean that I don´t understand why they exist… scientific names can be pretty bulky and difficult to remember). One such example from the german language is “Butterblume” (~butterflower), which can be basically any yellow flowering plant on a meadow (Ficaria, Rannunculus, Caltha, Taraxacum, Calendula…) leading to a lot of confusion about e.g. toxicity.
But one of my favourite german common names “Bienenwolf” (~bee-wolf) describes a graboid wasp hunting bees (Philanthus) and a beetle (Trichotes) - both pretty charismatic species I think.

3 Likes

Erica of which we have hundreds .That’s flowers, but someone has also used Erica for a spider.

1 Like

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of examples where the same scientific name is used for a genus of plants and for a genus of animals.

2 Likes

Just so you know, and I apologize in advance for being pedantic, the plural of genus is genera. :)

3 Likes

ah right yes, indeed it is. thanks for correction.

2 Likes

but, why don’t botanists and zoologists live on the same planet?
The plants and animals do.

2 Likes

There is the unique case in the German language (at least as far as I am aware of), where a plant/animal pair of genera shares not only it’s scientific, but also its vernacular name:

The Self-heals and the dunnock/accentors both are in the genus Prunella and are called ‘Braunellen’ in German. Would like to hear if such a case exists in other languages as well.

3 Likes

Redshank

1 Like

2 different genera of garden flowers!

1 Like