Feature request: ability to copy common name, too, please

I’m a new user and not a scientist, and I would like the ability to be able to copy the common name as well as the scientific name, please. That would save having to copy the scientific and surf to get the common, making it easier to share. (I have senior memory and can’t remember even the common name or its spelling for a couple of seconds. :slightly_smiling_face:)

(Am I correct that the developer(s) see these posts routinely? Not like it’s urgent or anything. :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

I’m not sure what you mean by copy. From which page on the website or app? Do you just mean being able to select and copy and paste the names? You should be able to do that for any text.

Do you mean from the taxa page on the app?

I think this is for the phone version. When I look up a species on my app, I copy the name to then put it into the search to get the right species. However, it will only copy the scientific name and not the common name.

You sent a similar email to help@inaturalist.org and it looks like you’re using Seek by iNaturalist - correct? Is this what you’re seeing?

There is a category here on the forum for Feature Requests, so if you have a specific one please make it there.

The main reason we’re only making the scientific name copyable is because by their very nature common names are not often regulated and of the same name can often refer to different creatures depending on where you are and who you’re with. If you want to find out more about a taxon, it’s best to enter its scientific name in search - you’re much more likely to find what you’re looking for.

Also, not every taxon in iNaturalist/Seek has a common name, so sometimes there simply isn’t one to display.

1 Like

Yes, I’m talking about the iOS app – I’m sure it would copyable in a browser, sorry, I should have specified. But if there is a common name to display, why not make it copyable? Of course, if a species has no common name, I wouldn’t expect one to be there to be copied. :slightly_smiling_face:

Closing to focus at a single topic: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/enable-copying-of-common-name-in-mobile-apps/25554