Fix taxobox parameters in "create this page on Wikipedia" prompt

@plantdrew noted this before, but looks like the Speciesbox and Automatic taxobox parameters still need to be adjusted. The taxon= parameter is missing from the Speciesbox pages. I’d also recommend removing “parent=” and “rank=” completely and just showing “taxon=”. You can use the entire name of the taxon and plop it in there. Additional parameters like image, taxon authority, etc. can be filled in later. I personally also prefer using “genus=” and “species=” instead of “taxon=” for speciesboxes, but just taxon= works.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/118751-Salix-myricoides (species)

Should just be:
{{Speciesbox
|taxon=Salix myricoides
}}

Alternatively,
{{Speciesbox
|genus=Salix
|species=myricoides
}}

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/273214-Guidonia (above species (note to self looks like this is a synonym))

Should just be:
{{Automatic taxobox
|taxon=Guidonia
}}

3 Likes

Added to my weekly report.

This has been done. If it’s working, feel free to close.

There were a few new changes here that I’m not sure I support (as both an iNatter and Wikipedian). I’m not sure iNat should be purporting to be a source of taxonomy that will spread to Wikipedia, especially if we’re just an incomplete EOL or COL2012 pass-through for many taxa. I prefer the idea of prompting people to write Wikipedia articles and possibly explicitly telling them to source/confirm the taxonomic and other information from elsewhere. I regularly remove references to iNaturalist on Wikipedia (such as distribution or vernacular names) because in most cases it fails to meet the reliable source criteria.

If you definitely do want to list sub/ infraspecific taxa listed in the article prompts, they should be formatted like this for plants, fungi, and algae, and shouldn’t be linked because very few infraspecific taxa are notable enough for their own articles:

''Salix myricoides'' var. ''albovestita''
''Salix myricoides'' var. ''myricoides''

(These particular examples are synonyms in POWO though.)

Anyway, as far as this specific bug report, the changes to the code should be as I had posted above. The |rank= and |parent= lines still need to be removed. Parent and rank do not need to be defined, because:

For a taxon where the parent is defined in the taxonomy template system on Wikipedia, it uses the genus taxonomy template and adds the higher parentage automatically:

and for one where it isn’t:

The Wikipedia editor would then click the “Fix” link and it brings you here: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?action=edit&title=Template:taxonomy/Fakegenusname&preload=Template:Taxonomy/preload which has detailed instructions for “grafting” it into the taxonomy on Wikipedia.

2 Likes

It seems that this is still including the unnecessary “parent” parameter in the code generated for the Wikipedia article. I’ve come across another new(ly active) Wikipedia editor who is creating new article with a “parent” parameter, which I assume is due to creating article through this tool on iNaturalist

Hi all,

As an editor on a couple of different ‘authoritative’ taxon catalogs, i’ve recently been looking at how various ‘taxon-information’ or ‘name provider’ resources interlink. Far above bouteloua said “i’m not sure iNat should be purporting to be a source of taxonomy that will spread to Wikipedia”. With so many taxa without the basics on Wiki, then i disagree, i felt having the basics as a template is good - even as motivation. Hence, i’ve now tried creating a few wiki pages with help of this template, and here’s my feedback for some template issues.

Otherwise, again per bouteloua i totally agree that adding something to “explicitly telling them to source/confirm the taxonomic and other information from elsewhere” can be a useful caveat, such as e.g. “<x!x-- Note: listed taxa can be incomplete, or contain errors–>”.

Here goes,
Firstly, just to echo my support for what is clearly said above multiple times:
Remove lines given in the template for genus etc
| rank =
| parent =
Or from the template the species
| parent =
These cause errors that were very confusing to me as a new wiki user, and i expect to others!

It could be helpful to replace aspects of taxobox (for genera etc) with
| image =
| image_caption =
| authority =
| type_species =
| type_species_authority =
All of which seem to not raise errors if remain blank, the setup can be different for the species template using the speciesbox

Else, could be nice to remove this repeated citation line away from EVERY species in a list

and instead say it just once after the lead in line of “contains the following species:”

Then also there some caveat about the list can helpful, e.g. comment of:
<x!x-- Note: Imported list may be incomplete, or contain other issues, please verify across multiple reliable sources–>

Then for every species listed in a species, rather than redundant ref name, instead a placeholder for the authority and year can be useful.

• ‘’[[GenusX speciesX]]‘’ {{small|<x!x–insert authority and year–>}}

Finally add
{{Taxonbar|from=}}

Else, today under a flag on iNaturalist - another user helpfully suggested to italicise the imported name in the iNaturalist citation, i.e as {{cite web |title=Genus ‘‘xyz’’ |url=. etc
Here, just give scientific formation by addition of some apostrophies.

1 Like

Bump. Can the | parent = parameter please be removed?.A pretty significant amount of new Wikipedia articles on organisms are now being created via iNaturalist. As a Wikipedian, I appreciate the contributions from iNaturalist users, but is getting annoying having to check the contributions from every user name I’m unfamiliar with to see if they’ve mistakenly included the | parent parameter due to having created the Wikipedia article via iNaturalist (recently, the majority of of new articles created by Wikipedia editors unfamiliar to me have included | parent (however, overall, most new articles are created by editors familiar to me)).