Wikidata/Wikipedia link for taxon page About tab no longer working

Platform: any? can’t remember where all it applies, e.g. Android too? or only web?

Description of problem: When the iNaturalist taxon ID and Wikipedia article link are connected via Wikidata, the iNaturalist taxon page should automatically display the correct Wikipedia page for each language. This feature was implemented in November 2020.

It’s currently not making that link correctly, and seems to be only searching for the taxon name or whatever is entered under “Wikipedia title” on the taxon edit page, as it used to.

This causes issues when the main Wikipedia article with that name is not about the taxon, for example.

Examples:

What the About tab for Garifuna currently shows (incorrect):

Everything is linked up correctly via Wikidata:

Taxon edit page:

Heterotis taxon page in Spanish:

Heterotis edit taxon page settings:

4 Likes

I was about to report a similar issue but I managed to solve it, so posting here in case it helps in other cases.

The taxon page for the genus Actia (Diptera: Tachinidae) used to link to Actia (Religious tradition) rather than [Actia (Fly)](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actia_(fly), despite the Wikidata linking to wikipedia correctly.

I tried editing the taxon Description, by first unchecking the Auto description box and simply adding “Actia_(fly)” to the Wikipedia title, as per the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird: Bird example, but this failed, as did “Actia (fly)”.

However, re-checking the Auto description box with “Actia_(fly)” in the Wikipedia title now links correctly! I think the Auto description box caption threw me off:

Although Actia is also nonscientific word with its own Wikipedia page, the pagename “Actia_(fly)” is distinct.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website):

App version number, I can’t find the app version number.

Browser, Mobile app.

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/525832-Siga

Screenshots of what you are seeing
Siga
Siga

Description of problem The provided Wikipedia article for the Siga genus is about the roman city of Siga rather than the moth genus.

Step 1: Replace the cited Wikipedia article with this one about the genus Siga.

1 Like

Someone seems to have fixed this.

1 Like

I’m sorry to write it here, but there is similar problem on the page Lynx, wrong Wikipedia article


Sorry I don’t know if screenshot is attached. The wiki article is
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(браузер)
About computer program, not about cat
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/41973-Lynx