Frog/Toad Tadpole life stage?

I’ve got tadpole observations. The Life Stage choices are:
Adult
Larva
Egg
Juvenile

What is Larva vs Juvenile? My tadpoles don’t have legs that I can see, if that matters. I Googled it and sometimes people separate tadpole into tadpole, tadpole with legs, and froglet.

2 Likes

Larvae are the aquatic stage of a frog or toad’s life. If it is still spending all its time in the water, and uses its gills to breath underwater, that’s larvae! Juvenile is when the young frog or toad makes it on to land. At this point they will look basically like tiny versions of the adults, with front and back legs; what tail they have remaining will start to shrink. So in summary, if it’s still living exclusively in the water that’s larva, if it’s moved on to spending some time on land that’s a juvenile. Hope this helped!

8 Likes

Thanks! Without legs, I guess mine are larvae.

2 Likes

Yes, those are larvae, they will grow legs (first hind, then fore) and only after growing to a stage of a little frog with tail they will leave water and be considered young individuals.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the helpful answer!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.