From taxa page, "View All" no longer zooms to extents of range, and pins don't show

As the title states, I go from the taxa page, click on “View All”, and I would normally be taken to the observations (with a place filter of New Zealand from settings) and the map would be zoomed to fit the range of the observations, with pins on the map (assuming of course my last obs list had the map option selected). In the last few days I noticed it started not zooming, and pins aren’t showing. Not sure when it first started happening.

If I zoom in slightly and force the button for “Redo search in map” to appear, clicking on that will bring up the pins.

1 Like

Can you please provide a specific taxon that consistently does this, as well as a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Just went to the first one I could think of… Latrodectus katipo, used “More - Taxa info” to get to it, and when I clicked the “View All” it worked as expected, ie it zoomed to the range of the obs and placed pins. I tried a couple other taxa that I know it happened on, and same story.

I also get to the taxa page sometimes by being in an observation, and clicking the taxa name in an identification. So I tried that with Latrodectus katipo and the bug is repeatable with that path

via “Observation - Taxa in an ID - View All”:

via “More - Taxa info - View All”:

Hmm, I’m not able to replicate, using iNat.NZ in either Chrome or FF. Can you open up the web console and take a screenshot? there might be some info there that could help us diagnose this.

on chrome, the only “console” in the options I can find is a blank thing in the developer tools… I’m guessing I am in the wrong place… how do I open the console?

View > Developer > Javascript Console. It opens up the console on the page. If there are errors, they get noted in the the console. If nothing’s there, then it wont be helpful.

right place then… no error messages…

I didn’t have a view menu entry…

but under “More tools - Developer Tools”:

there is a console:

is the “10 hidden” relevant?

Looks like you did the right thing, bummer there’s nothing there.

Well, i’m curious if anyone else is noticing this behavior.

@kiwifergus are you still running into this bug?

I tried a couple different taxa, seems to be working fine now. close away :)

1 Like

opening upon request

@tiwane I have encountered this again today.

No urgency on this, it is just a cosmetic/minor annoyance, especially now that I am aware of when it happens and how to avoid it.

Note that I have an account filter for “New Zealand” from accessing through the NZ portal, and assuming I have been on map view in previous observation search results. Using Chrome browser.

If I go to a taxa page and click “View All”:

the resulting observations show as pins on the map, and it is zoomed to the extent of the range of those observations:

This happens no matter what taxa I choose… however, it only does so if it is the only browser tab or window that is open to the observation map!

If I have that tab looking at that observation map, and then open another tab and repeat the process above, then the resulting observation view does not place the pin locations and does not zoom to the extent of their range.

Open new tab to a taxa:

Click on “View All” and go to observations page:

This seems to happen whenever there is another window or tab looking at the observations map.

The above behaviour doesn’t seem as consistantly tied to “another tab or window” as I thought when I posted that above. Another problematic workflow:

• With only one tab and window open, go to the Identify page
  • choose one that has two IDs of different taxa
  • from the modal, ctrl-click or right-click-“Open in New Tab” on one of the taxa names to go to the taxa page
  • from the taxa page click “View All” and the map shows, pins located and zoomed to extent of range.
  • Close that tab and from the first tab repeat for the other taxa, and this time the pins don’t locate and no zoom

I tried repeating this in reverse order, opening the 2nd taxa then the first, but neither resulted in pin locations and zooming.

with the 2nd tab still open and showing the first taxa, I change the view to “grid” and close all tabs/windows. Then when I repeat the exercise, the first taxa expectedly opens on grid view (as last setting), and when I change to the maps tab, it locates the pins and zooms.

And also noting that the Observations page is being redesigned? Perhaps this “bug” will just go out in the trash with the old relays when they get upgraded? :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper#Anecdotes
https://interestingengineering.com/the-origin-of-the-term-computer-bug

Hi @kiwifergus, I’m going through some of the oldest bug reports on the forum.
I tried this one out but still wasn’t able to replicate. :\

Logged into iNatNZ and changed my default place filter to New Zealand (the one highlighted here):

And also added a default place on the taxon page because that wasn’t added automatically when I changed my account settings:

Started here: https://inaturalist.nz/observations/65245450

Clicked the taxon name in the first observation:

Brings me to the taxon page: https://inaturalist.nz/taxa/391391-Latrodectus-katipo

Then clicked “View All”:

Which brings me here: https://inaturalist.nz/observations?verifiable=true&taxon_id=391391&place_id=&preferred_place_id=1&locale=en, with this zoomed in view, showing pins:

And

Every combination of going to a taxon page and then clicking View All will still zoom into NZ and show me pins. So weird!

1 Like

It might be behaviour as a consequence of having a plugin, such as textblaze. I haven’t seen it happen recently either, at least not so I have noticed it… maybe close the bugreport and I’ll get back to you if I can figure out anything else about what might have been causing it.

1 Like