Funny, long, or just plain weird animal names

I just discovered that the newest species of Fringe-toed Lizard (longstanding genus Uma) is named Uma thurmanae.

6 Likes

Cool. That’s apparently a very recent species description (2020) since a search on the web provides almost nothing except websites talking about the actress!

1 Like

It is indeed from 2020, but early enough 2020 that The Reptile Database first picked it up and then later iNaturalist was updated with the output from The Reptile Database.

2 Likes

My favorite is what is possibly the longest English common name, the Association EuropĂ©enne pour l’Etude et la Conservation des LĂ©muriens’ Sportive Lemur.

3 Likes

“English”, ha!

Well for the most part is isn’t English (arguably only one word in that name is English), but it is an English name.

1 Like

Understood – I just found it funny. I guess “Sportive” and “Lemur” are both English.

Lemur is actually Latin for ghost.

5 Likes

Snottygobble.

2 Likes

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/8271-Dicrurus-bracteatus Spangled Drongo.

2 Likes

My bad, but I can’t fix it because it seems you can’t edit comments that old.

1 Like

Sort of. Lemurum is a Latin name for a malevolent spirit of a dead person.

Lemur is English for lemur.

Edited to add: Regardless, as a citizen of an English/French bilingual country I have to say that Association EuropĂ©enne pour l’Etude et la Conservation des LĂ©muriens’ Sportive Lemur is a pretty cool name, bien sĂ»r.

2 Likes

The word Lemur comes from Lemurum.

1 Like

Sure. Like a lot of words in English, it is borrowed from a Latin word, in this case lemurum (plural lemures). Linnaeus based the generic name he applied to the animal on the Latin word for a ghostly entity based on its nocturnal habits and slow movements. English speakers use a common name based on the generic name Linnaeus chose.

The word lemur appears in English dictionaries as an English word. If it also a Latin word (my Latin is limited - maybe there is some form of lemurum that is rendered that way) that doesn’t make it any less English.

5 Likes

I never said it made it any less English, I was only saying it is (arguably) also a Latin word.

4 Likes

Isn’t it considered an act of torture for you to start reading Vogon poetry at us?

12 Likes

Beautiful. Just for that

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me, (with big yawning)
As plurdled gabbleblotchits, in midsummer morning
On a lurgid bee

11 Likes

And then there is the legendary lost continent of Lemuria (a.k.a. Mu). Now there’s a place I’d like to make some iNat observations!

2 Likes

I always found it weird that the Peppered Moth, Biston betularia cognataria, and the entire Tribe Bistonini are named after a Greek Demigod of War, Biston.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/54057004 by @jeanniefraser.

Does this cute moth look like a raging Atreus to you?

In any case, one possible version of the translation - Related Birch; Son of War; Son of River - would be awesome alternative name for any animal in general.

Also, Bistonini sounds like a fancy panini sandwich that would be served at an expensive restaurant.

4 Likes

heehheeehheee!

1 Like