Funny, long, or just plain weird animal names

What about Nameless Pinion (Lithophane innominata)? I mean, if you name it “Nameless”, then it’s no longer nameless since it has a name…

6 Likes

The Pacific-slope flycatcher has the scientific name Empidonax difficilis because it is so hard to tell apart from related species. Empidonax flycatchers are notorious that way. Also the genus name is Greek for “Lord of gnats.”

1 Like

And then there is another flycatcher genus, Myiarchus – Lord of the Flies (like the William Golding novel)

And the paradox is repeated in the scientific name, since innominata means nameless.

I always find it odd to see a specific epithet with the word dubium. Doubtful, as in the taxonomist doubted whether it was a valid species. Well, why name it as one then?

One of my favorites, though, is the Zapata sparrowTorreornis inexpectata. Inexpectata means unexpected, as though the ornithologist did not expect to find a new species in Zapata Swamp.

4 Likes

Eight-eyed Blood Hedgehog.

4 Likes

Indeed. Reminds me of the Sin Nombre Virus which causes hantavirus disease, especially here in the Southwest U.S. Although the name means “nameless”, it’s apparently named after a Sin Nombre canyon.

2 Likes

Slippery Dick

2 Likes

:) This wildflower was always problematic with the school boys when I led nature hikes in the forest. They would snigger and their moms’ would scowl at me. But, hey, I did not name it. Such a lovely flower, too. Dichelostema-capitatum

3 Likes

Well, we’ve covered animals and plants, so I guess food should be included – Spotted Dick

2 Likes

What about the scientific epithet Novaehollandiae??? Plain impossible to pronounce…

2 Likes

Also, there are beetles named;

• Gelae baen (Jelly bean)
  • Gelae belae (Jelly belly)
  • Gelae donut (Jelly donut)
  • Gelae fish (Jellyfish)
  • Gelae rol (Jelly roll)

I can imagine these beetles floating in lagoons and hanging out in candy jars :frowning_face:

And tiny snails named Ittibittium :rofl:

And a scientific name for a wasp describing the discoverers’ reaction to confirmed evidence, Aha ha

A flagellate named Kamera lens

And an Indian fly named Parastratiosphecomyia stratiosphecomyioides :confused:

11 Likes

Diphthong ae sounds pretty much as English ae.

2 Likes

If only us English-speakers could pronounce ae consistently…

2 Likes

Wm. T. Stearn in Botanical Latin has this on the pronunciation of ae:
“Reformed Academic” “ae as ai in aisle”
“Traditional English” “as ea in meat”
Which do you prefer?

Oh, I always pronounced it like “a” based on how it looked.

Everything you didn’t know you didn’t know about pronouncing ae.

The answer is “it depends…” .

1 Like

I speak English and I can pronounce ae… It’s like the letter “A”.

1 Like

From these two first, of course, meat is [i].

Hmmm… well, if I saw the word “maet,” I don’t think I would pronounce it as “meat.” More likely, as “mate.”

4 Likes

Not on iNat as it is extinct.

Esox is a genus of pike. If you are an author with a sense of mischief and find a fossil ancestor, you come up with:
http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxonInfo&taxon_no=63048

8 Likes

They had them in Rarotonga when I went early last year.

1 Like