Funny, long, or just plain weird animal names

My personal favourite is the “uncertain”, one of many generic brown European moths named because of its similarity and difficult identification. A lot of UK moth names are fun in general.

15 Likes

maybe that species was named for the same reason!

2 Likes

since I put “long” in the name:

6 Likes

Obi-Wan-Conobea https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/164663-Leucospora-multifida

12 Likes

These are awesome. I think my favorite thing about this thread, though, is seeing which names are of particular interest by the click tallies. I know I went straight for the sparklemuffin :)

6 Likes

I’ve always thought that “moss-eating crambid!” would be excellent to yell at people who cut you off in traffic.

14 Likes

Bus Stop Nudibranch is my new favourite. :)

9 Likes

Giggling Capegorse

5 Likes

In Genus Polygonia there are Commas and a Question Mark. Given the Genus name, shouldn’t they be triangles, squares, rectangles, etc. ? :)

11 Likes

i’ve always thought that Turdus migratorius was unfortunately scatological. :poop:

16 Likes

what about Turdus fumigatus?

11 Likes

I see you did go down the rabbit hole today

3 Likes

Nothobranchius furzeri is funny in German as Furz means fart. This kind of fish as a very short lifespan as well.

6 Likes

Named after a Richard E. Furzer (farter), I feel like this article must have been particularly entertaining to write.

As for my own contribution, in many languages such as Dutch, French and German, Kaka means excrement, while in Te Reo Maori, it means parrot. Many parrots and parakeets have it in their name, such as a couple of species in the genus Kakariki

5 Likes

I have always been a fan of Vertigo nylanderi, the…ahem…yea.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/233528-Vertigo-nylanderi

4 Likes

I quite like the name No Parking Whitebeam.

13 Likes

triphora trianthophoros ssp. trianthophoros

4 Likes

Nohawilliamsia -named for Norris H. Williams (now a synonym of Oncidium)

2 Likes

I just found:

and, one of my favorites, the Conquered lorikeet (Vini vidivici)!

3 Likes

Seductive Entodon Moss, Entodon seductrix

Cynical Quaker, Orthodes cynica|
Confused Eusarca Moth, Eusarca confusaria

ambiguous moth, Lascoria ambigualis
definite tussock moth, Orgyia definita

5 Likes