Funny, long, or just plain weird animal names

To any of those who watched the cartoon show Kim Possible:

Naked MoleRat

Nothing else said.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

When I encounter these guys I have a habit of saying, “twice-stabbed stinkbug! Ouch…Ouch”

2 Likes

Epidendrum pseudocardioepichilum and Epidendrum recurvitepalostachyum 9 syllable specific epithets on these two, the genus seems to have particularly entertaining names.

2 Likes

In the fly genus Pieza there are Pieza kake, Pieza pi, Pieza rhea, and Pieza deresistans :)

9 Likes

that one’s my favorite. Is it a particularly special fly, I wonder?

2 Likes

I made a project for it along with sea-kangaroo, you can find it as “The name game”

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @imacuriousjuan!

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Link: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/the-name-game

1 Like

Imperial Shag is one of my favorites.

2 Likes

“species Phallus, a lookalike of male urinary device” Classic description!

2 Likes

Wow, I had no idea there were so many hilarious names!!! :laughing:
One of our family’s most loved insults is your such a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

1 Like

That’s the same reasoning behind genus clitoria .

Linnaeus shocked a lot of people with that one. His contemporaries had a lot of negative things to say about his choice of name, and some of the worries they expressed were that young students (assumed to be all male) would either not understand why he called it that or that it would cause them to think about female anatomy too much.

5 Likes

The two I share with my students are

Aha ha - an Australian wasp

and

Strigiphilus garylarsoni - an African owl louse, named for the cartoonist

7 Likes

Frequently seen near the Puddingwife.

2 Likes

Funny, today I just read about a species of bivalve from the East Indies with the scientific name of Fragum (Fragum) fragum. Which I thought was funny for some reason.

2 Likes

Fragum if they can’t take a joke.

2 Likes